Sunday, October 23, 2011

October 22, 2011 - DE LB & October 23, 2011 - Extra Workout

Wasn't feeling so good yesterday. Felt dizzy and almost retched doing box squats. Not to mention that the knee and neck thing weren't better yet. Also I burned my right forearm a little making waffles. Regardless, I am still working on making adjustments to my training. Right now, it looks like I'll be doing a four-days-a-week split (including event training) with a ME LB and DE LB but only ME UB. I may be putting rows and back stuff on my LB days and doing four lifts a workout instead of three. Still ironing out the details but should have it figured out by tomorrow.

October 22, 2011 - DE LB

Dynamic Warm-ups

18” Box Squats w/IW#4’s clinched
No Bands
45x10
95x3
135x3
Add Bands (+145lbs)
45x3
95x3
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
313x3
313x3
313x3
313x3
313x3
313x3
313x3
313x3

High Heel Leg Presses
590x8
680x8
770x8
860x8 PR+10lbs

Pulldown Abs
100x12
130x12
160x12
190x12 PR+5lbs

Comments: I waited until I didn't feel so dizzy and went to work. Squats felt awful at the start, almost lost my balance on the first working set. Really felt the scar tissue in my hamstring on those first few reps. Things got better (besides almost retching). I rested a bit after the squats to let my stomach settle and went on to leg press. These felt good despite the knee. I think this position keeps a lot of the stress off the knee. Abs ended up tougher than it should have been. On my set with 160lbs, an extra 10lbs hung on to the stack for the first nine reps, making it 170lbs. Didn't really have time to stretch.



October 23, 2011 - Extra Workout

Walking - 31 minutes

Band Face Pulls
IW#1'sx100

Band Press Downs
IW#1'sx100

Band Straight Arm Lat Pulls
IW#1'sx100

Comments: Tweaks and what not are feeling a little better. My legs were incredibly sore at the start of the walk. Easy band stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Craig,

    nice blog and progress man. I just found your blog and have been reading back a ways. I was curious to your favorite tips for lifting for tall dudes. I'm 6'7 as well, only 230lbs though and do some highland games. Obviously I need to gain weight. How many calories are you trying to consume daily? Macros? Looks like you drink a gainer - which one? My current lifts are Olympic squat - 295, Front - 242, DL -355, Bench - 275, Strict Press - 145. Obviously, I just need to focus on getting bigger and stronger but would love to hear what you have found that has really worked for you. Keep up the good work,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read my log Steve. I was about where you were weight wise about two years ago. I’m too sure how many calories I’m getting in each day. I get about 2000 calories and 180 grams of protein from weight gain shakes and I have breakfast, mid-morning snack and dinner with that. I’m using Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex Gainer. As far as training for lifts at this height, have a heavy day and rotate the reps and sets of heavy supplementary lifts. Heavy and sloppy upper back work has been key with helping the big lifts. High heel leg pressing has been surprisingly helpful with leg drive on deadlifts and squats. Learn to use the long levers you got to move the weight fast. I hope that answers your questions. Feel free to ask for clarification on anything. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply. I will give the gainer a go. I noticed the "slop" on the upper back work on your vids and I have been doing very strict rear delts and trap raises without much success. I will start to use some momentum!
    Two more questions - which size sling shot did you get? The website says to order a size up if you are over 6'4. Did you go XXL or XXXL?
    Also, I notice you use a very big double lifting belt (rehband?). Better then a standard lever belt? I am always dancing around low back issues so that caught my eye. Thanks again,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the XXL but I might have to get the next size up as it is starting to feel snug. My soft belt is the rehband belt and I have a small blue single prong belt and the large PR (Power Ratchet) belt. I like that one for squats and deadlifts. Not sure if it is better than a lever belt as I haven't used one.

    ReplyDelete