Wednesday, March 23, 2011

March 22, 2011 - ME LB

My training partner/mentor Joe says that this upcoming contest will be a good one for me to get my feet wet and that the goal is to finish healthy. He also said it would be my final test for my comeback. I hadn't thought about it like that but I see that as being accurate. This contest means a lot to me and I don't mean getting a spot at Nats or winning. I'm going at this like a man possessed.

Dynamic Warm-ups

17" Rack Deadlifts
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
405x3
455x1
495x1
545x1 PR+40lbs (PR+50lbs for DOH)
Added Straps
585x1 PR+80lbs
635x1 PR+130lbs

655x0
572x3 PR+148lbs

Harness Front Squats w/ Chains (+76lbs)
135x3
165x3
195x3
225x3
255x3

Glute Ham Raises
bwx8
bwx8
bwx8
bwx8

Reverse Hyperextensions
240x12 PR+10lbs
240x12
240x12

35 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: I feel I'm back on the right track in regards to lower body training, specifically the deadlift. I haven't done pulls from this height in a few years so I expected to get huge PR's today, similar to the last time I did a rack pulls. My goal weight was a bit under my 18" pull because 1. it was in a contest 2. I don't know how accurate the weight was (could have been 10lbs of) and 3. this was off rack pins so there wasn't any bar flex. Working up in weight, I felt good and I focused on getting my form right. I know I'm doing it right if it feels like I'm levering it off the pins and feeling more like a standing leg press then a pull. The other good sign was that whatever was bothering my upper mid back on the left side wasn't flaring up nearly as much as the last few workouts. I worked up to 545lbs with a double overhand grip which is a big PR for me as this bar is bent to hell. I got my goal weight of 635lbs with a bit of a struggle. I should have stopped there but I wanted to try beating my 18" deadlift PR. I might have broke that weight off the pins but it wasn't going anywhere. Still, this is progress. Did my down set and stopped after three as my form was breaking down quite a bit on the third rep. Next was a new one for me; harness front squats with chains. I hate front squats but I figured I'd add them back in to work my weakness; staying upright. I'm going to be doing these with and without chains and beltless to make my core and upper back work on staying tight. Not too bad, only got sloppy on the last set and shut it down after that. It will be interesting to see how these go in the future. Ghr's made me want to do a happy dance as I did all four sets for eight good reps. Actually did one extra one on the last set since I felt one of the reps was a little wonky. Going to be adding a little weight next time so I'm happy to see this kind of progress with my hamstrings. Back and hamstrings were shot by the time I got to reverse hypers but I put all I could into them. Went home to stretch. Long day, but a good one.


No comments:

Post a Comment