Saturday, October 31, 2009

10/31/2009 - Pennsylvania's Strongest Man

I'd like to start off and give a shout out to Nyquil. Though you taste like the color red, you allowed to me to go to sleep these past three days.

I had gotten a cold around Wednesday night which was possibly the worse time for me to get one since the contest was Saturday. I felt so horrible Friday night that I was considering pulling out of the contest. I felt miserable Saturday morning but not as miserable as Friday so I thought I'll give it a shot, I've been training too hard for this contest to back out. I arrive and weighed in about 253lbs with my shoes and clothes on. During my dynamic warm-ups I felt winded but since there was only one event that would need air (tire flip/coffin drag) I figured I wouldn't be to hampered. First event was log press.

Now originally the event was 270lbs with one clean and press away but it was changed due to the low turn out in the novice class. Thus the event became 250lbs and clean every rep with 60 seconds time limit. So much for not needing air. 230lbs had felt heavy for a single so I was a tad worried. However, once I got down to business the worry faded away. With one rep I couldn't get worse than eighth. I got four pretty quick but I was gasping for air. I took a bit of rest before going for number five. Some people say you can't grind out a jerk, but I did today. There was not enough time to try for a sixth with my congested chest. A PR of three reps and one of my best overhead performances. Tied for fifth out of ten.

Next was a tire flip and coffin drag. Flip a 780lbs tire 60' and then drag the coffin 60' in 75 seconds. I had finished this last week but I didn't have a chest cold then. I start and I feel like I'm setting a better pace than last week. However, since the whole tire needed to cross the line, I had to do another flip, which made eight flips, before going to the drag. It was only six when I did it last week. I kept pulling on the sled and finished with moments to spare. Fourth out of ten on this one and off to a good start.

Next was the Conan's Wheel. I knew I wouldn't do as well on this event but I didn't expect what happened. I figured I 'd get about 1.5 laps on this since I had done 1 lap last week. Set up pick and start walking and then BAM! Lights out! I couldn't breathe well and the apparatus choked the remaining air I had out of me. I stumbled 17'9" before I took a standing nap. Last place on this one.

Up next was the bleacher deadlift. Most reps in 60 seconds. The weight was +1000lbs but due to how the people on it were distributed, it was a bit less than what I had done on it last week. I did ten reps with a bit of showboating to get the crowd involved. My performance didn't last long as it was between by almost everyone else after me. Then winner got 20 reps with it. Sixth out of ten.

Finally it was time for the atlas stone run. Four platforms, 58", 54", 52" and 50", 20' feet apart with a 60 seconds time limit. The stones were 240lbs, 290lbs, 330lbs and 365lbs. I opened up my Elite Tacky and it was hard as a rock so I had to microwave it. Got the first two stones easy, a little issue getting a grip on the 290lbs stone. The 290lbs was PR for that height. I tired to one motion the new 330lbs stone and it cost me when the platform rejected it. Lapped and loaded it (PR+4") and went to the 365lbs and made short work of it. Third out of ten for the final event.

I ended up in seventh place in the 265lbs class. Much better than the last time I went HW (Snap Fitness last place) but I still need to work on some things like not getting sick the week of the contest and passing out on the Conan's Wheel. I will also not use Elite Tacky unless it is really hot outside because it takes forever to come off when you're done. But seriously I need to keep at it. I feel comfortable with the added weight. I'm naturally good at stones but I need to work on technique some more. What I'm doing won't cut it with very heavy stone events. I also need to dedicate some time to the Conan's Wheel so I don't pass out on it again. My next contest is most likely Battle in the Barn but I might go to a contest or two between now and then.

2 comments:

  1. Good work, Craig, and I'm glad to see your safe after that tumble. Working out (let alone competing!) when fatigued or sick can be a pain, but sometimes it leaves you stronger for having done it.

    Take care,
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patrick. I was awake before I hit the ground on that. The arm of the Conan's Wheel kept me from falling face first. I certainly don't feel stronger right now with this cold but it was great to compete against some new and familiar faces and set some PR's.

    ReplyDelete