Thursday, May 19, 2011

May 18, 2011 - ME UB

This right shoulder thing is getting to me a bit. I spent most of the day trying to think of a way to work around it but I wasn't too satisfied with any of the changes. I've been seeing good things in my pressing from these exercises. My thoughts were to suck it up and deal with it as it would just be two more workouts and then I'd deload for the contest. Add an easy week on to that and it should be a decent time for inflamation to go down.

Dynamic Warm-ups

Barbell Push Presses
45x10
75x5
105x3
135x3
165x3
195x3
225x1
245x1
265x1
285x1 PR+20lbs
305x1 PR+40lbs
320x1 PR+55lbs
288x3 PR+43lbs

Close Grip Barbell 4-Board Presses
245x5
275x5
305x5
335x5 PR+10lbs
365x5 PR+2 reps

Bent Over Barbell Rows (straps)
235x8
265x8
295x8
325x4 PR+5lbs

Rope Cable Face Pulls
85x12
120x12
155x12 PR+5lbs

41 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Excellent workout, even with shoulder thing. I was certainly apprehensive about this workout and my shoulder being tight during warm ups for push presses did nothing to alleviate that. I was expecting to crush my PR as the last time I did barbell push presses, it was 265lbs which is now my strict press PR. While anything over 265lbs would be a PR, my real goal was to beat my axle push press PR of 305lbs that I set the first week back into heavy lower body training after my injury. Everything up to my former PR felt like a joke. 285lbs went up with no issues even though I relaxed my shoulders when setting up for the press. 305lbs was also strong but with a slight slowdown near lockout. It was then time to for a big PR and I put 320lbs on the bar. If I got it, it would be a 55lbs PR for barbell push press, a 15lbs PR for push pressing in general and a 5lbs PR for an overhead lift. After considerable mental prep, I want for it. It felt light on my shoulders (thanks front squats) and I went for it. It got a bit in front of me but I was able to reel it back in and lockout. Most straight weight I've put overhead and my push press has finally surpassed my former jerk style. On the down set, I got the first two reps easy but I lost my balance on the leg drive for the third rep and I really had to fight that one to lockout. If that hadn't happened, I'm sure I'd have done one more rep. I wasn't looking forward to board pressing due to the shoulder. It ached like crazy on the first set so I had to shake it out and do some movements to make it happy. Pretty much how it went for the other sets. It didn't ache so bad after the set with 305lbs. I used a different setup for the next set but I was unstable. That was my goal weight but I knew I could do more. Did I have enough in me for a 40lbs PR? I thought it over and decided, who cares, I won't know until I do it. I got two side spots for this set with 365lbs. I got my setup as tight as I could and told my shoulder to shut its dirty whore mouth for a set and got to work. No pain in the shoulder and only had a slight struggle with the last rep. Spotter on the left side touched the bar but I had it at that point. Beggars can't be choosers. Pressing has come a long way and removes any doubts I had about dips helping my pressing. Rows were tough. Many factors such as heavy stone work on Sunday, heavy block pulls and front squats on Tuesday and doing the right weights this time. Last time I had missed a set so when it came time for my heavier sets this workout, I was a bit more fatigued. 295lbs felt almost as tough as 320lbs from last week so I had low expectations for the next set with 325lbs. And I was right as I barely got four reps. I'll be at this weight for some time I think. Then moved on to rope cable face pulls. I like these a lot better when I ramp up the weight as opposed to just starting heavy off the bat for straight sets. These felt good. Went home and stretched.


1 comment:

  1. It is never a good idea to just "suck it up", Craig. Shoulder issues can become chronic very easily. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete