Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 17, 2011 - ME LB

I'd like to preface this workout with the highlight of the workout and it wasn't even something I did. We tricked one of our training partners into pulling his first over 500lbs deadlift. He had missed 470lbs twice and we all knew it was a mental thing. After he got it on his third try, we had him do three more singles with "5lbs" more. What he didn't know was the small plates we put in between the big plates so he pulled 480lbs, 495lbs and 505lbs. He was shocked and very happy when we told him (after 505lbs pull that is haha).

Dynamic Warm-ups

15" Block Deadlifts
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
405x3
455x1
495x1
545x1
Added Straps
585x1
615x1
645x1
660x0
585x3

Harness Front Squats w/ Chains (+76lbs)
165x5
195x5
225x5
255x5
285x5 PR+2 reps

Glute Ham Raises
bw+5x8
bw+15x8
bw+25x8
bw+35x7 PR+5lbs

Reverse Hyperextensions
250x12
340x12
430x12 PR+10lbs

41 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Tiring but good workout. My lats were sore and filled with lactic acid and my arms were only good for checking for right angles. Stones will do that to you haha. I had planned on doing high rack pulls to work on straining with weight and get my tendons used to heavy loads but I realized it was kind of stupid. I need more below the knee strength if I want my deadlifting to improve. So with that, I've dropped rack pulls for block pulls. I haven't done block pulls from this height before with straight weight. In fact, I've only done the one time in a contest at 19" and the variation with reverse bands from a few weeks ago. My super old PR from a rack pull at this height (at least 6 years old) was 475lbs. With that in mind, I planned for my goal weight of the day to be 5lbs more than my rack pull from 11". Even though that was pre-injury, I thought it would be doable since I'm stronger than before. My arms were cramping up hardcore and it showed when I lost my grip at the top with 545lbs double overhand. Can't be mad as it does tie my PR for double overhand. I got my goal of 615lbs quite convincingly but I wasn't sure what to go for next. I added 30lbs and got it with a struggle. I knew I'd have to pull something out of my butt if I was going to pull more. While I didn't get 660lbs, I made a good show of it by breaking it off the blocks and getting it just below my knee caps. Progress and a good sign for future deadlifting developments. I went with 585lbs for my downset and got three, broke a fourth off the blocks but nothing left. Front squats went well but the last set was quite tough. On ghr's, I was pushing it hard. Almost popped out my contact lenses from using everything to finish the reps. I did get eight on the last set but the final rep was super ugly and I had to cheat it up so not counting it. These have been helping a lot. I was quite beat from everything else but I still managed to do work with the reverse hyper. Finished up with stretching to call it a day. Hopefully my arms aren't so sore tomorrow. I kind of need them haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment