Wednesday, May 11, 2011

May 10, 2011 - ME LB

Recently, I was told I think too much and that I'm too focused on the assistance work, thus my main lifts I want to improve don't. Of course I had to think on it (after some pacing in the Angry Dome) and there is grain of truth to that. While I feel that all the lifts are do are assistance lifts (even the main ones) for events and strongman in general, I do want to get my deadlift and overhead press stronger (as well as squatting and benching stuff) so I can one day turn Pro. Thus, I've altered my training to increase the emphasis on my overhead and deadlift and after today's workout, I feel it is a step in the right direction.

Dynamic Warm-ups

Deadlifts w/ IW#2's dbl
No Bands
135x5
185x5
Add Bands (+113lbs)
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x1
405x1
445x1
485x1
Added Straps
525x1
550x1
495x4

Harness Front Squats
195x5
225x5
255x5
285x5
315x5 PR+30lbs

Glute Ham Raises
bwx8
bw+10x8
bw+20x8
bw+30x8 PR+2.5lbs

Reverse Hyperextensions
240x12
330x12
420x12 PR+10lbs

40 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: I forgot my camera so there is no proof of this awesome workout other than my word and three other lifters at Max Fitness. It was exceedingly hot and my arms were drenched in sweat just warming up for lifting. I was a bit anxious since I haven't felt the best with my pulls off the floor since my injury. Granted everything else has been going swimmingly but not so much with floor deads. Perhaps it has been the poor exercise selection the past few times (sumo and 6" platform). Either way, that "worry" was there for a lot of those sets. But then I started to feel more comfortable. I ended up pulling my goal weight (485lbs) for the day double overhand before adding straps. Very, very pleased to pull 550lbs against the bands as the bar weight was over 90% of my 1rm from the floor. I also managed to tie my PR for reps with 495lbs without bands, with the bands. This can only mean good things for me. Another departure from my normal lifting was doing 5's instead of 3's. Generally my second exercise is always to a top triple but now I'm trying something different by doing three weeks of 3's and two weeks of 5's. My goal was just my previous 5-rep beltless front squat PR of 285lbs, so doing 315lbs for five after that was just gravy. Ghr's have been a godsend for me. To think I was struggling with my bodyweight after injury to doing them as merely a "getting warm" set now. 30lbs was no joke and very, very tough. Also continuing the reverse hyper domination getting the weights easy. Quite a bit of stretching to finish off the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment