Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April 05, 2011 - ME LB

Last time I had mentioned some changes I was thinking about. Well, after the intese soreness I felt after my event training day, I'm going to have to go back on some of it. RDLs are out for now while I'm focusing on deadlifts on my event day and I'm going to try doing incline dumbbell benching in place of seated for now.

Dynamic Warm-ups

Deadlifts w/ Chains
No Chains
135x5
185x5
Add Chains (+105lbs)
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x1
365x1
405x1
Added Straps
455x1
495x1
515x1
463x4

Harness Front Squats
155x3
185x3
215x3
245x3
275x3
305x3

Glute Ham Raises
bwx8
bw+5x8
bw+10x8
bw+15x8

Reverse Hyperextensions
260x12 PR+10lbs
260x12
260x12

34 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: DOMS hit me hard today. I blame the atlas stones (some on that deadlift stuff too haha). Mid back was sore, lats were sore, ribs were sore and everything between my wrists and shoulders were useless and stiff. I was definitely worried I'd have a craptacular workout, which is not the best way to start a new training idea (deadlift focus). Today I was doing deadlifts against chains. I've done these before but with 134lbs as opposed to 105lbs. The deadlift bar felt stiff today, almost like a regular bar. Not a good sign when the bar with a plate on each side feels "heavy" haha. While I did get up to 405lbs DOH, I knew my grip wasn't going to be up to the task of more weight and I didn't want to risk pulling anything with my forearms and biceps so fatigued and sore in an alternated grip so I went with straps so i could continue the workout. The next set felt heavy as balls. I knew I had to get mad or this was the end of the workout. I added more weight and got to it. I asked Chad how much more it looked like I had in me and he said 15lbs, maybe 20lbs. Good enough for me, so I added 20lbs and got that with a little slowing down of the bar. I had maybe another 5lbs or so left in me but I called it there. Now for my down set, I messed up the percentage and took off 52lbs instead of 62lbs. Actually turned out well and I got four reps. I think that for the chain deadlifts, I will make an exception and just base my percentage for the down set off of the bar weight as the chains completely deload on the floor (unlike my other chain lifts). While I would like to be doing more weight now, the last three sets of deadlifts felt good to me. It is a good starting point that I would like to eclipse soon. Moved on to harness front squats and did quite well on them today. Now I have done 365lbs for a double on front squats before but that was without the harness (which puts the bar off my shoulders so it is out further) and with a belt. My best without a belt is 290lbs for a double so this is definite progress getting a harder variation for a triple with more weight. Glute hams started out poorly with just bodyweight but I fixed whatever I was doing wrong and did them well on the following sets. I am back up to the heaviest weight (har har) I was doing on these so this is great progress for me. Reverse hypers helped loosen up my lower back and hips some. Long workout but stretching helped me relax. Took anti-inflammatories for to combat soreness so I could sleep. Hopefully it goes away before my next event/ME LB workout haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment