Saturday, March 27, 2010

March 27, 2010 - Events

Dynamic Warm-ups

Axle Power Snatches
77x5
127x5
167x3
190x1

Uphill Sled Pulls
850x50'
850x50'
1075x50' (sort of)

Tire Flips
900x10 PR+40lbs

Comments: I really wanted to try out some sled pulling to do something similar to a heavy truck pull so I did training with a bunch of guys at a gym in Mechanicsburg where Lou trains. It became kind of a lazy workout for me since with so many people, it was a long time between sets. Also I was the only one doing power snatches (everyone else was doing cleans or presses to get ready for a show next week). We started out using Jerry's APT harness. At that point I was wondering why I had bothered to buy a harness from IronMind. I didn't get to do many sets on sled pull since we were rotating between 7 guys. The first set was easy but sloppy so I knew I would have to do it again to make sure my foot work was better. It was a ton better the next set. When it was time for my last set, no one else had made the whole distance with additional weight besides the tire so I knew I wanted to go hard. It was a sloppy run but I knew I could finish it. I was a couple feet from the finish when I hear a pop and I'm launched forward as the harness snaps. Now I'm glad I have an IronMind harness. I put mine on and told the guys I wanted to finish the pull. I get ready and pull and the darn knot comes undone at the end. At this point everyone's laughing and saying don't do it Craig, it's a sign you shouldn't finish the pull. We re-secure the knot and I pull the remaining three feet or so. I didn't really plan on doing a bunch on the tire but once I started, I had to keep going. I've never done more than a single with a 900lbs tire and let me say this: Jerry's tire is an evil tire. Sure it's easy to pick up but the transition is just awful, awful, awful. It's tall, has no tread in the middle. Still I managed to gut out ten. That felt good. So yeah, it was a bit of a goofy event day.

No comments:

Post a Comment