Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cradle of Iron II Strongman Show - York, PA - 06/27/2010

I know what most of you are thinking. “Good lord, another one? Didn’t he do one of these like not even 21 days ago?” Well too bad, for here is another one of my word vomit/write ups. This one requires a bit of a prologue to set the mood right.

This contest was the sequel to last years show at York Barbell and that was a fun show. It was heavy and I loaded my first 405lbs stone (thrice). This year was different. The events were all strange and challenging. Having done three contests in one month, I was writing this show off to focus on other shows. Then I found out that there were only 12 people signed up just a week before the show. That news made me kind of angry. Matt Keller and his crew run damn fine contests that are tough as hell and to have less than a baker’s dozen of athletes is just an insult. I offered to help out. Then as the date approached, I found I had no one to train events with so I committed to the show Friday night. To put it bluntly, I was worried. I was nervous. I was scared. Hell, I was even thinking about the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear from Dune to get over it. My heart was racing when I got a hair cut the day before thinking about the contest. Was because I was going in to it unprepared? Was it the fear of failure? Was I being a total baby about it? Yes on all accounts. I spent all Saturday drinking watered down Gatorade to keep from sweating to death.

So I drive out to York Barbell and proceed to weigh-in (258lbs) and take photos and get stuff setup. Also talked shop with a few guys. Turned out to be eight competitors in the open class. The heat had not picked up yet but it was going to be a hot one. I messed with the natural stones that were going to be part of the press medley. I could already see there being a problem with how difficult it was to press them and not waste energy. After I warmed up, I went at them again and got them pretty easy with a little rest between them so my worries were alleviated, for now. I go back to my car to take my tacky out of the trunk. It was already a mess from leaving it in there for two weeks in the hot weather so I wanted to put it in the shade. I come back and I’m told I have to pay $10 for parking. I’m clarified I was a competitor and he said no exceptions. Kind of pissed me off that I had to pay but competitors for the IPA powerlifting meet didn’t. He tells me to talk to the guy in charge and that leads to nowhere since that guy tells me it’s how they make the money back and that it gives me 50% entry to the meet. Awesome. Good thing I had exactly $10 on me. First event was about to start.

To start the day off, it was a 19” deadlift with 650lbs for as many reps as possible in 60 seconds. The catch was that no straps or suits were allowed. The whole parking fiasco took up a bit of time and so I had no time to warm-up on the bar with lighter weight. So add to the angry factor was the no warm-up factor. I kind of knew that it was going to be like 50-50 bombs/low reps and repfest for this event. I knew I’d be in the former group. My goal was to be the top of that group if that makes any sense. My grip and wind wouldn’t be tested but my lower back would be since this was still a mid-shin pull for me. I get set and pulled three toughish reps and then took a break to give my lower back a breather. I came back and attempted a fourth but as it got to my knees I tried to hitch it. My knees were sweaty so it slid back down. I tried once more and then called it there as I had a long, hot day ahead of me. Sixth out of eight.

Up next was the odd object press medley. This event went through the most changes precontest with implements changing as well as weights. It finally ended up being a 200lbs sandbag, 180lbs and 205lbs natural stones and a 250lbs 12” log. The sandbag and stones had to be pressed before you could get to the log and then the log was clean once and just press away. I believe this was a 75 seconds time limit. It was during this time I noticed that my left knee had a welt from the deadlift that was pretty swollen. Oh well. I was up third with my low placing on the deadlift. I sped through the sandbag and first stone easy and got the second stone up to my chest quick but couldn’t lock it out. Ugh. I picked it up again and it slid out my hands as I rolled it up to my chest again. AGRH! Again I got it to my chest but the position was terrible and it went to the side. NO! I took a breather and got it to the lap, took a breathe and rolled it up and pressed it. My abs and shoulders were beat to hell as I walked over to the log. I took a rest as I knew I was only going to have one shot with the log. I knew as soon as I picked it off the blocks that it was going to be near impossible to get a single rep with it. I got it cleaned and did my best to stay steady and then pressed. It went just above my eyes and then came down with a clang. I was sure this would be near the bottom of the pack but to my surprise, no one else was able to press all three awkward objects. A surprising first out of eight.

It was around this time that it got really effing hot. I had a small towel around my head to keep the sweat off and to stay cool. It was like Lawrence of Arabia, just with less man-raping. Anyways, the next event was a frame carry. Apparatus had to be carried 40’, dropped and then carried back 40’. I think this had a 60 seconds time limit. It was a cruel frame at 630lbs with a 12.5” pick and the handles being 35” apart. In other words, a pick from hell. This was also the event where pretty much everyone who got it up almost or did tear calluses. See the truly evil thing with the frame is that it produces horizontal shear to the vertical shearing forces in the hand which is not something that is trained on the farmer’s. Since most people don’t train on frame carries, it leads to a lot of tough flesh experiencing a new sensation and leads to tears. I went last on this one since I somehow got first on that press medley. Four people had finished the whole course so I knew I had to as well. It was a slow pick and had a slow pace. The second pick was even tougher but kept moving. I could hear my training partners telling me to keep going, to finish. I’m thinking “hell yeah I’m going to finish this, is there some doubts in my grip?” So I pick up speed and go a few feet past the line and hold it. I dropped it and shouted “CAN YOU DIG IT!” I get excited sometimes. I noticed a nice spot on my left palm begin to pool with blood under the skin. I finished in 23.6 seconds which was good enough for third out of eight.

Before the next event, there was a little down time for the heavies as the there were a big more in the light weight classes. I got to talk with the Matt Rhodes. Don’t you know about the Matt Rhodes? I consider you lucky with you’ve missed the “strongman was easy” brouhaha. Ah, good times. Anyways, next up was the keg carry. It was 280lbs for as far possible with turns at 40’ with a 75 seconds time limit. Now I’m pretty good with kegs but every keg is different. This one was like the fruit cake of kegs; filled with just about everything. Water, small stones, concrete and lead were some of the things I heard mentioned in passing. Now Joe had arrived at this time and he was telling me I had to do well on this event since I did his 350lbs keg for 150’ a few weeks ago. So I get chalked up and lap the keg and hold it high and start to walk. By the third lap, I’m starting to feel sluggish. I make a fourth and start to slowly walk. I pause briefly and got a few more steps before I let go. Got 177’3” for this one. Good enough for a first place out of eight.

And then there was one. Final event was the dreaded stone carry and load. All the stones would be loaded over a 48” yoke but they’d be carried different distances. The weights and distances were 250lbs for 40’, 270lbs for 30’, 310lbs for 20’, 340lbs for 10’ and a 22” diameter 380lbs stone right next to the yoke. Time limit for this one was 75 seconds. Also there was a bonus 420lbs 22” diameter stone at the end that had a 30 seconds and $50 for the fastest time to load it. With the heat, fatigue in the posterior chain and having never carried an atlas stone, I wasn’t sure I’d get past the 340lbs stone. I was in second overall going into this event. No one had loaded the five stones yet. I was deep in thought as I watched other competitors go as I hunched down in the shade. I think “it’s going to be jus t me and the stones. It’s 97 degrees on this black top, can I do this?” I get into position and go, 250lbs trotting down to the yoke, easy, 270lbs down and over, done, 310lbs up and over, you betcha. The 340lbs stone is where I have to actually lap the stone to get it into position but it’s an easy load. I retack for the 380lbs stone. I missed this stone earlier this year at Clash of the Titan’s II and it was time for revenge. A bit of an effort to thrust it over but I get it. They then roll out the 420lbs stone and I talk a little breather. It’s hot, my stone lifting muscles are exhausted. I think at some point Lou slapped my back when I tried this stone (video confirms he did) but I didn’t feel it. Alas, it slides and I can’t finish the lap. My other attempts are nowhere near as close and time runs out on me. I did try it like three more times about five minutes later but it’s just too hot and my tacky was just Vaseline at this point. Once again, a first out of eight.

Did I mention it was hot? It was hot. I had a good time for something that was worrying me the day before and for something I didn’t train for. I got first place by half a point and I won $100 instead of a trophy. That was a pleasant surprise; I’ll be giving $50 to the charity I’m supporting, Action Against Hunger. Got to put some faces to names, meet some new friends and hang out with old friends. Next contest is most likely Lift for Riley & Jack III on August 14, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment