Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hudson Valley Strongman - Wallkill, NY - 09/18/2010

I like stone loading. A lot. When I saw that there might be a chance that a 483lbs atlas stone would be at this contest, I committed to the show. Did I care what the other events were? Who I’d be competing against? That it was just a few weeks after a tougher than I thought it would be contest? Hell no. I wanted that stone. I was visualizing it for the past two weeks.

I missed out on this contest last year as it was only a few weeks after New Jersey’s Strongest Man and I was not sure if I was competing for the rest of the year after that abysmal performance. Seeing as how the wake up at 4:50AM the day before thing worked out great for Battle of the Bad Ass this year (minus restroom Jehovah’s Witnesses) that was the plan for this show too. My father had to deal with my impression of “Weekend at Bernie’s” for about two hours until I came to. Nothing much of note this trip. Got to the venue, I took my pictures, renewed my NAS membership and checked in. As I am a heavyweight, I didn’t have to weigh-in. It’s pretty much “Weight?” “I’m a heavyweight.” “Ok, lardass, you don’t need to weigh-in.” There were a lot of people there. The parking lot was full. I believe 65 competitors in all. Granted most were there for Master’s Nationals but there was still quite a healthy serving of people in all the weight classes. Also a lot of ladies, like almost as many as there are at Women’s Nationals. Steve, the promoter actually thanked me for setting up an event on the Facebook for the show. I knew most of the people in the heavyweight open class (6 including myself) so I knew the uphill battle that this show was going to be.

To start the day off, it was a max axle clean and press. A “maxle” if you will. I wasn’t too sure how I’d go with this as my pressing with leg drive didn’t help me much at the last contest. My original goal was to open with 280lbs and then go for 300lbs, a number I haven’t hit yet with a clean. But I wasn’t feeling good so I figured I’d lower it to the minimum opener of 260lbs and then go up by 20lbs. However, I did a warmup with 280lbs while waiting (lot of people to go through) I hit 280lbs like it was nothing. Ok, back to the original plan then. I get 280lbs cleaned easy but I get called for resting it on my belt. I didn’t realize you could get called for that with a rehband belt. So I had to put it back down and I readjusted my belt lower and did it again. Not as easy a clean. Tried to press, no good. I refocused and hit it again and it went up easy. The judge told me to just ditch the belt for the next attempt. I went for 300lbs anyways. On this clean, it’s like I forgot everything. Way tougher than it should have been. But I got it to my shoulders. Same thing as 280lbs, first attempt a miss and then getting on the second attempt. Very happy to get 300lbs with a clean. Now at this point, two people were out and the other three still had not done their openers. Since all three of them were going to open with 320lbs, I figured I’d go with that too so I could get some rest before my next attempt. The left side of my back was bothering me after that clean without the rehband belt with 300lbs. I put it back on to keep that area warm. I tried to get my head right and went at it. First two attempts were bad, so I threw off the rehband belt so I could rest the bar lower on my abdomen. I went for the flip but it wasn’t enough. Fourth out of six.

Up next was the 18” deadlift, last man standing style. I was in the hole off the bat with the first event but since the three people ahead of me all tied the event, I wasn’t in that bad of a place. The apparatus were boxes attached to a bar so it was like a silver dollar deadlift but the bar height was at 18”. Midshin pull for me. It was going to be changed to three attempts to a max like the axle but the competitors wanted to do what was advertized instead. I was hoping this would benefit me as it would fatigue the back muscles with all the pulling. Starting weight was 550lbs. Got that. Next was 600lbs. A bit tougher but got it. Then 650lbs. Quite bit tougher. Up next was 700lbs. I was going to call it there even if I got this one as my left side of my back was still acting up on me. If I got 700lbs, I’d get fourth outright, but if I missed, I’d share it with another competitor. I went a tugged, no good. I stepped back while still strapped in and jumped forward towards the apparatus and pulled hard. It moved a little bit but not happening. Settled for a tie for fourth out of six.

Then it was time for the conan’s wheel. 750lbs on this implement. I felt pretty good about this event as I thought I had figured out my problem with this event. I guess I was wrong. I picked it up and almost blacked out. I got 15’ with it. I went farther with 100lbs more on this exact conan’s wheel not four months ago. I was beyond pissed at this. HATE! Tied for fifth out of six.

Yeah, so any chance at reaching a podium spot was gone. Even though the next two events were good for me. The next event was a loading medley. Carry two kegs (275lbs and 300lbs) 25’, load them over a 48” bar and then load two power stair implements (325lbs and 350lbs) up two sets of 18” steps. I was feeling alright about this event. I was resting and then I attempted to stand up. My entire back started to spasm. I don’t know what happened but I was worried I wouldn’t be able to even lift up the first keg. First keg down, easy. Second keg, easy, only slightly slower. I beat feet to the power stairs and got them up fast. I prematurely raised my fists in victory (didn’t know if I had even won the event, just happy to do well). My time just edged out the fastest time by a little over 1.5 seconds. My time of 30.14 seconds got me a win. First out six.

Final event was an atlas stone series. The heights were changed a bit from the entry form. It was to start at 60” and end at 40” but that was changed to 48”. Not bad but it certainly made things a bit tougher. The weights and heights were 275lbs to 60”, 310lbs to 54”, 330lbs to 48”, 350lbs to 48” and a 22” diameter 405lbs stone over a yoke set to 48”. There was also the bonus stone. 483lbs and 22” in diameter. It was glorious. Time limit for this one was 60 seconds with 30 seconds for the bonus stone. I was in fourth overall. The only way I could get into third would be to load all the stones, including the bonus stone for the extra two points. I got to go last on this since I had won the previous event. No one had loaded the five stones yet. I was in silent rage mode. I got ready and attacked. I one motioned the first three stones (not a wise decision with the 330lbs stone) and then easily got the 350lbs stone. I retackied for the 405lbs stone. I got down and it came up easy and then it slid out as I was trying to lap it. WTF! I look at my forearms and hands it looks like I’m slathered in cement mix. Not good. I retack again and give it another go. Barely coming off the ground as it just keeps sliding. I called it there. Very, very disappointed with missing the 405lbs stone. My time of 17.02 through first four stones was only good enough for second out of six.

However, I was not done. No sir. I came here to try that 483lbs behemoth and damn it if I’m not going to give it a shot. Now this is only minutes after I failed the 405lbs stone. I got psyched approached and attacked. It actually came up off the ground! Hell I almost got it lapped before it slid out. I waited a few more minutes and did it again. Again, so close. A few more minutes and again a near miss at lapping it. Psyched out my mind that I’m that close on a freaking 483lbs stone. I may need to build a bigger stone soon. I really want another chance at it soon.

So yeah, I did his a PR on the axle and I beat Brett Somerville at a medley but boy do I have my work cut out for me. Obviously, static strength in deadlifts and overheads needs to keep going up but I feel I’m on the right track for those. Conan’s wheel is conan’s wheel. I don’t have that coming up in any show anytime soon but I might just have to keep that as a staple exercise. No one likes that 405lbs atlas stone. It’s a dust factory. A stone slug if you will. I didn’t get much chance to talk with anyone besides when all the events were over. I apologize to anyone who thought I came off indifferent during the contest but I was trying to keep my mind off my mid back pain. I had fun despite that. Meant some new faces and I look forward to competing or training with any of you guys. My next contest is most likely going to be Battle at the Barn III in late January. Quite a few people want me to go to Nats but unless I find a way to get the costs for that trip down substantially, it’s not happening this year. I will be helping out with an airplane pull in Virginia next Saturday to raise funds for the Special Olympics. Should be interesting. I also plan on training down at Brute Strength Gym for the charity team contest. I hear they’ll have a 500lbs atlas stone.


No comments:

Post a Comment