Friday, August 9, 2019

August 8, 2019 – Week 10, Day 2

5 Minutes Precor AMT

Mobility Prep

Dead Start Safety Squat Bar Partial Good Mornings
60x3
110x3
160x3
210x3
260x3
310x3
360x3
410x3
460x3
510x3
560x3
610x3

Kettlebell Goblet Squats
53x10
53x10

Roman Chair Leg Raises
BWx35
BWx35

Stretching

Comments: Yet another day. Getting into that bad habit of not going to bed earlier and sleeping in a half hour so that I have to come home and do stuff before leaving to do stuff. This week, it has been putting off putting away laundry, marinating chicken and getting my workout bag ready. Gone for a walk Monday and Wednesday evening and my knee is doing better than it was. Again, could be the Tylenol. AMT to warm-up. Heart rate was up to 149bpm at the end so lower side this week which is good. It’s not a good sign when it stays elevated on this easy a warm-up. Movement prep stuff was good. Started out upstairs but went downstairs to finish up with the second half as all the bars were in use upstairs. Big change for this workout. This was supposed to be my last 18” pull workout for NY Record Breakers. Advised that even with straps, too risky to try it with the broken pinkie. I was not pleased about that but I need to adjust and do the smart thing to keep moving forward. So this required some workarounds. The plan here was to do an exercise that would mimic the start of the 18” pull but not be in my hands. This required the power rack, the jack stands and the safety squat bar. Set the ssb so that it was at the position I would be in at the start of an 18” deadlift. Attempting to do it exactly with the spacing on the rack meant I was either too high or too low. I put a metal rod through the jack stands so that I had a bar guide for where my shins should be and a height gauge. I couldn’t use a barbell as the platform space was too narrow that was elevated. In order to get the right height, I had to stand on some plates. Goal was to warm-up and do triples from a dead stop on partial good mornings, taking 50lbs jumps. I had asked if I should use the suit or not as I wasn’t certain if this was testing or building. No suit, building the Exercise. I started with the empty bar as I had no idea how this was going to feel  and went from there. Bar felt like nothing but adding 50lbs really changed the dynamic. This was hard on the entire back for the spinae muscles. There was really temptation to just partial squat it up to get it moving that first rep and it was difficult to get the right spot. I was better with getting the weight in a groove on the subsequent reps to get the hips and hamstrings working. I got better as I went and more efficient. That became a problem as I didn’t want to make these easy, these needed to work on building the weakness I have. Make the back a sturdy rod and brace. I had thought I could at best hit 660lbs when I did the empty bar but then as I did these, I figured I’d top out at like 460lbs. But then I kept grinding out the reps and sets. I knew on the very first rep with 610lbs that this was the last one. I could feel my bracing breaking down trying to overcome the inertia. Not that my back doesn’t do that on heavy pulls but I don’t need another injury so this was a place to stop. The strain on those last few sets were something else. I was ok at the start but I was really sweating by the end. After that was lighter stuff. As last time, the kettlebell squats followed. No changes to what I did then. I was a little leery about how my right knee would feel as it was barking at me the last time. I did a single bodyweight squat and it felt fine so I knew this would be a better time with the kettlebell. These were easy, I was just a bit fatigued from the many sets of partial gms and taking a short rest between sets of these kettlebell squats. Last thing was abdominals. I was not to do the hanging style due to the gripping aspect so I was allowed to do the roman chair style ones. As has been the case on these, two sets of reps. Increasing another 5 so goal being 30-35 reps a set. Much easier and smoother to not have to worry about the swinging on these. These don’t bug my left shoulder and not having to break the momentum each rep seems to keep the tension constant. Just a little tricky to get set in the chair so that I’m stable. I took a bit of a rest in between the sets to put away my weights but aslo because my hip flexors and abs get fatigued and sore from these pretty quick haha. So little bit later of a night so I went for burritos and figured the chicken could marinate another 24hrs. Home to stretch and ice my knees.


No comments:

Post a Comment