Saturday, January 29, 2011

January 29, 2011 - DE UB

While I am not happy to have this injury, this down time has allowed me to really take a look at my training and work on fixing weak points. It is also allowing me to find what "upper body" exercises work in conjunction with my hamstrings. I have to think of new things. As someone mentioned to me; sometimes injury lets us evolve. An evolving athlete will be a better athlete. The one that refuses to change or adapt will be left behind. The best place to see this kind of evolution in sport is MMA as the cycles/phases change very rapidly. Obviously it is a much longer cycle with strongman but even in the short time I've been involved competitively, I have seen paradigm shifts in the pro ranks that permeate down into the competitive amateur ranks.

Dynamic Warm-ups

Close Grip Bench Presses w/ IW#2’s dbl
No Bands
45x10
95x2
135x2
185x2
Add Bands (+170lbs)
45x2
75x2
105x2
140x2
140x2
140x2
140x2
140x2
140x2
140x2
140x2

Neutral Grip Seated Dumbbell Presses
50'sx8
60'sx8
70'sx8
80'sx8
90'sx8 PR+10lbs

Parallel Bar Dips
bw+100x8 PR+10lbs
bw+100x8
bw+100x8
bw+100x8

Bent Over Rear Delt Dumbbell Raises
80'sx12 PR+2.5lbs
80'sx12
80'sx12

16 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: I was bit stressed out right before lifting from other goings on in my life but luckily that all fazed out while I was lifting. Benching felt a little off but I got into a groove in the later sets. Quite a bit different this time as I did all the lift offs myself. One of the changes is fazing out log pressing during the week and move it to event training day. The Swiss bar is tougher anyways and I'm planning on keeping in the bench pressing on UB DE day. Also going with seated presses instead of push presses. Move that to event days as well. Anyway, dumbbell seated press was great. I aimed to equal my old PR and that was super easy so I went for a PR. Absolutely crushed that as well. My previous best from years ago was a single rep with 90lbs so big time progress as I felt good for 12 reps or so. Moved on to dips. I was a little worried about this week but no issues and similar to last week. I'd say slightly easier than last week haha. Finished up with rear delts. This bump up in weight was tough. I didn't even count the first rep of the first set since it came up as more of a row/shrug. Managed to eek out 3x12. Looking forward to seeing the PT on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pressing pr's. Eliminate all those weakness's so all thats left is strength!

    ReplyDelete