Saturday, July 6, 2019

July 5, 2019 – Week 5, Day 2

5 Minutes Precor AMT

Mobility Prep

18” Box Squats
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x22 PR+50lbs & 1 rep

Deadlifts
135x5
225x5
315x5

Back Extensions
BWx10
BW+50x10

Planks
BWx60 Seconds
BW+50x60 Seconds

Stretching

Comments: I needed the day off from work for the holiday. Had a deep tissue massage after work on Wednesday and almost fell asleep during that. I ended up sleeping for over 13hrs that night so it was already the afternoon when I woke up. I would’ve probably slept even more if my dad hadn’t come to get the shop vac. I’m at least a light enough sleeper that I can be somewhat awoken by someone entering my house haha. So I was about as rested as I could be I think before going into this particular workout. It was kind of annoying to have to go back into work for a day but whatever, weekend was the next day. It was humid and hot. Like angry hot when I got out of work but it cooled down by the time I finished training. A fair number of people on a Friday. I usually don’t train this night. Perhaps the gym being closed yesterday was the cause of more people tonight. AMT felt good. That massage definitely helped with the stuff that had been tight and stiff. Heart rate was up to 151bpm. Worked up a good sweat on the movement prep and stretching. Near the end of it, I realized I was going to have to wait for the power rack to open up. Had to kill some time and stay warm which wasn’t a problem as luckily it didn’t take very long. This week has been the week with the most changes to the previous three workout week cycle. Last session had push pressing. This time, there was going to be the same other stuff but adding in some deadlift reps. Box squats here again. Last time had been quarter-plate-quarter jumps and that was the same this time just with an extra jump. Max reps with 50lbs more than last time. Last time had been terrible. Really showed I was not in the squatting shape. But usually that comes back pretty quick. My hope here was at the very least that I got 15 reps and had no pain in my hamstrings from them tightening up like last time. But really, I was going to be disappointed if I got less than 20 reps here. I don’t know why but I felt that even though it was a struggle bus to do 21 reps last time with 225lbs, I felt that I was able to match it with 50lbs more. Weights felt pretty good working up. I’m not a fan of this rack for the back squats as this one is a little high for lower bar with heavier weights and the next setting is pretty low. Weight is still fine for the higher setup. Still not feeling like the big ass ratchet belt is necessary here so just the regular hard belt. I was definitely better prepared this time. At 10 reps, I knew I had 20 there. Had to take breaths after the 13 rep. 20 to hit my goal, 21 to match last time and 22 to beat it. I kind of thought about going for 25 but my body was quivering after getting that 22nd rep and I didn’t want these to become goodmornings so that was enough. Oof that racking of the weight let me know that I was done and then my body just got really tired and my lower back and legs were pumped. If I had thought doing back extensions and planks after this was tough last time, what were some light deadlifts going to feel like haha? Really not a lot but I’ve not really done real deadlifts for a bit. As of late it has been mostly singles and then prepping for USS Nats it was that darn thick bar elevated a few inches and with a suit. Only raw pull recently was those wide grip, wide stance deadlifts with straps for EMOM singles. And those felt a little off to me. So I didn’t know how this was going to feel really. Just chalk and keeping it double overhand. I will say my lockout feels strong and powerful. Plan here was just three sets of five, taking plate jumps. This was supposed to be easy. That first rep of the first set showed how unused to regular deadlifts I was as I thought I was at the floor I put that first rep down but I had another inch or so to go so it kind of was dropped. Oops. I took my time on these as I was still feeling like a drunk cat from box squats. Definitely noticed the weight increase on each set. 315lbs didn’t feel as easy as I wanted it to feel. Looking at my records since the “reboot”, this is actually the most weight I’ve done on standard deadlift for a set of five. Like I said, a lot of focus on singles, doubles and triples. And never after this many squats haha. I’m sure it will improve with time and with the current rotation of exercises. Then it was the core stuff. Back extensions were mercifully one less set today with the top set being just 5lbs more. This was easy, even after the squats and deadlifts so that’s good news. Planks I didn’t realize that there had been a change to this until relooked at my sheet. Last time it had been bodyweight for a minute to practice/warm-up and then a 30 second hold with a plate. I figured I’d just put the dense 50lbs plate on this time. But this time I was to do 30-60 seconds on that set. But really, it wasn’t that bad. Just really sweaty by the end. So home to stretch and eat tacos and then ice my knees before going to bed. Sleeping in Saturday and then another hot event day on Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment