Wednesday, July 24, 2019

July 23, 2019 – Week 8, Day 1

5 Minutes Precor AMT

Mobility Prep

Axle Strict Presses
82x3
102x3
122x3
142x3
162x3
182x3
202x3
222x6

Close Neutral Grip Seated Cable Rows
70x10
90x10
110x10
130x10

Push-ups (1 second pauses)
BWx10
BW+25x8
BW+50x21 PR+1 rep

Stretching

Comments:  I was tired Monday. I didn’t walk more so to let my knee rest more. And to try and clean up things around the house. I did end up doing that but still stayed up later than I should’ve. This meant I slept in to get some more sleep and left getting ready for the gym until I got home from work. Workout was changed to allow for stuff to hopefully recover better. I’m always mad at myself when the workout it changed from what was written before. Like that was the perfect workout and I can’t do it now because I suck. I know that’s not how that is to be looked at and this is more to keep me healthy, to adapt and continue to improve. Being healthy has been a problem since 2016 but I’ve been managing. These thoughts are also more present when I feel tired and I’m struggling (or so I think) do again, signs that fatigue is there in both mental and physical sense. Home to get stuff ready and then to the gym to train. The guy with the parrot in the RV was back in the parking lot. I thought I had seen the last of him. Kept the copper knee sleeves off at the start. Wearing them too much bothers my calves. AMT to start off the session. 146bpm highest reading. I was expecting this to be higher. No issues with the movement prep and warming up.  Axle as per usual this week. Originally the clean and strict pressing but changed to pressing out of the rack. Wore the knee sleeves because the unracking isn’t the best with the spacing on this rack so some knee bending that could put strain was going to happen. Plan was triples up to a weight I could hit for 6-8 reps. I think I wanted to go heavier because I was dropping the clean. I really wanted to get eight for the top set though. I figured that if 200ish felt heavy, I’d do that for eight, otherwise go up another to try for that rep range. PVC pipe to warm things up. My form was off the first set, I darn near brought it down on my nose finishing the first rep. Oops. It was probably a good idea on the not doing cleans as my biceps were really sore and feeling it on the reracking of weights and adding weight to the bar. Strict press with a barbell/axle has not been a focus. Most I’ve done since I started keeping track again (2016) is 230lbs for a single during Beast of the Bluegrass prep one day when my knees were bothering me. These felt better. I gave 222lbs my best shot and got six. Tried seven but it wasn’t there and it would’ve been a cheaty and sucky grinder. These were supposed to be smooth and perfect. That sixth one was pushing that definition. Looking at my all-time bests, this is 13lbs shy of my best set of six with the axle. Close to 95% there. Nothing more with the axle after that. Changing things up so no push pressing to get more event specific stuff that will get trained later. Another change was no one arm rows. Thank you. These wreck my forearms and biceps with that constant tension. Especially this soon after a stone training session. Cable row with a close grip and neutral hand position. Plan being 4-5 sets of 10 with increasing weight. Trying to feel the upper back working, no yanking with the biceps. Weight not really the goal here. I took short rests here as I knew I’d probably be using lighter weight and it was later in the night from me being lazy to get to the gym after work. Plan being the top set I could do for at least 15 reps with this form if needed. This got exhausting quick. I would’ve like to do 150lbs but I could feel that I couldn’t keep these smooth on the next jump. Keep it back focused, not so much arms. Final item for the session was the paused push-ups. Doing the 50lbs plate for the rep set this time again. Plan being 1-2 more reps than last time. My chest was sore and tight from Sunday still and I was to do a few more reps on the warm-ups. But I felt pretty good on the first 8-10 reps and then they started to get hard. I don’t like it sliding down. I know it is still work but I prefer it being on the upper back. On rep 20, I came up lopsided and the plate fell off. I wasn’t done. Reset and got another rep. Tried for 22 but just couldn’t get my elbows to lockout. Next time I guess. Headed home to stretch , ice my knees and recover while I eat Mississippi roast.


No comments:

Post a Comment