Sunday, October 23, 2022

Post Competition Thoughts and 2023 Plans

Took a week off from training. It was needed after this competition season. I had meant to take more rest but things didn’t quite work out that way and I still had goals to meet. Not necessarily completely. I did 2 miles walks every day (which is what I try to do on my off days unless weather is bad or I need to mow my lawn) and some light band stuff for upper body and bodyweight stuff for lower body and core. But the most I’ve taken off completely from immediately after a contest since 2017 Nationals which ended up being two weeks because reasons (sprained wrist and flu). Funny enough some similarities here to that post contest as well as some very different feelings. The big difference being that I after this Nationals, I felt a great relief. Like a weight that had been on me was lifted off my shoulders and chest. Stress weighs you down. However, there was a similarity in that I had to go to urgent care when I got back and get x-rays. In 2017, it was to make sure I didn’t do more than sprain my wrist whereas this time it was because I woke up a few days later to a severely swollen left elbow that apparently was bursitis and had to be drained of fluid and get a cortisol injection. Knock on wood so far. Training light for 3 times a week and then move up back to 4 times a week. Figure things out for 2023 as more things get solidified and revealed.

For the 2023 season, plan I guess is do higher level shows for SC, aim being qualify for SC Nats 2023 (even if not going) and Regionals 2024 (I’m already qualified for Regionals 2023). No sense doing any SC shows prior to May 2023 unless I feel I can get SC qualification directly as these won’t qualify for Regionals in 2024 until after April. No interest in USS Nationals 2023 (numerous reasons). Pro show stuff with USS is hit or miss and none this side of the Mississippi River so probably a no go. I got some clarification on the Pro Class stuff about what it means. So if I qualify for the Pro International show and accept invite and show up that year, I get automatic invite each year. I don’t have to requalify again. Which would be nice but again, no Pro Class shows showing up nearby and not worth risk to go really far if can be downgraded due to lack of sign ups. Hate to fly out to Kanas and find out only 5 people showed up. Will depend on events and location of USS Nationals 2024 if I decide to pursue that but leery about going to a show with over 400 people competing in one day. I continue to have no interest in OSG. Focus will be Pro/Ams (assuming they are worth it this year) and Regionals I guess. Aim is still pro card. I’d like to qualify for Arnold Amateur but I may not pursue it just because it is less likely to lead to pro card situation. There is only one card vs three at Nats. So incentive to win Regional shows isn’t quite there but placing well is to get better comparison of Nats level competitors and likelihood of qualification for Nats. 

The 2022 season was good to me despite the stresses I had after the highs of March. Best showing at Nationals in the decade I’ve competed. Of course, there are those lingering doubts of that this was a more “CrossFit” style show as some HWs have indicated. The events of the past two Nationals I’d probably place a lot lower (though I knew in 2021 I wasn’t ready for this level of show yet).

Arnold Qualifying (Average) Top 11
Axle – 365
Farmer’s – 40.37 (2 didn’t finish and used 60 seconds)
Medley – 38.04
Deadlift – 8
Sandbags – 3.63/5
Arm-Over-Arm – 39.36

Pro Card (Average) Top 3
Axle – 392
Farmer’s – 33.88
Medley – 35.23
Deadlift – 9
Sandbags – 4.33/5
Arm-Over-Arm – 39.55

Lowest to Qualify for Arnold
Axle – 311
Farmer’s – 21.9’
Medley – 47.56
Deadlift – 3
Sandbags – 3/5
Arm-Over-Arm – 48.91
My Results

Axle – 286 – 38th
Farmer’s – 56.47 – 18th
Medley – 45.57 – 19th
Deadlift – 2 – 27th
Sandbags – 2/5 – 24th
Arm-Over-Arm – 31.09 – 1st

Not much learned that I don’t already know that I need to get stronger on overhead and pulls and move faster. 1 more rep or one more jump and I’m there. But I guess learning still and adjusting and knowing that my good events I hang and can be best in the Nation at it. 

Nationals went fairly well but not enough to solidify an Arnold invite. However, I’m certainly within the range for a call up if enough people withdraw or are unable to attend. I feel that in order to insure I can safely train for this that I’d need to know before Christmas this year to accept a back up invite.

Arnold Events

Day 1
Viking Press
Power Stairs

Day 2
Fatback Farmer's
Odd Object Carry and Load

Day 3 (Top 10 Only)
Mystery Event
Mystery Event

These are really good events for me compared to the Arnold I did in 2019. I feel 10 weeks would work really but the Fat Back Farmer’s would require more time to get that being a safe event with all those picks at most likely 320lbs or more. 

Odds are that there won’t be any local shows until after Spring and might just make more sense to aim for 1-3 Regional shows. Maybe in close succession and treat it as long off season with a short contest season then another short off season with Nationals hopefully. Similar to how in 2018 when I did 3 Plat Plus shows that were like 2 months apart each with focus being the Arnold. Allegedly the Pro/Ams may not be like last year giving top 3 pro cards, or any pro cards so might just avoid those. Nothing confirmed for the Regionals or Pro/Ams yet but sounds like 5 Regionals with one in California and hopefully one in PA again and another in KY. I’m antsy to get back to training for hard stuff but at this time, there is no contest to train for. Which hasn’t been the case since for some time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment