Sunday, March 7, 2021

March 6, 2021 – Week 3, Day 3

Really thought of just plugging the pull on this dream. Again. I get like this and I know from past experience that I need to sleep on it and take a moment to think things over. Figure out what went wrong and not be emotional about it. But like with the last time, I wasn’t sure how long this processing period was going to be. So mind went into that “no training for a week” stuff. And unfortunately, my bad habit I’ve developed has been to essentially fast. Not sure if it is punishment. Part of me thinks that I’m already eating a caloric surplus (feed a family of 4-6) and no sense eating so much if I’m not going to be training. Another part of me thinks it helps me focus on what is important. A hungry cat catches mice. Left trap being all tense wasn’t helping matters either. I wanted Friday to be over with quickly. Had my usual breakfast and then nothing until I went to bed (weight gain shake). I’m frustrated beyond belief and run out of patience. Patience I’ve had going on 3 years. And that patience was on top of another 7 years. I’m realizing that my lower back isn’t something that is really recovering week to week. Low pick height on frame carry takes it out of me with the other stuff. Looking back through post 2016 injury stuff, I’m finding that the only period that my raw deadlift went up as well as farmer’s walk was my very first training cycle back from injury, when both were light and it was a very long cycle. Any others, it has either not been an event, parts of training have been suited or fully suited when heavy. The plan for the deadlift could work for me but not in a way that would allow me to also train events in any meaningful way. One of the other. So going to modify some things from the plan to see if I can make something work. If not seeing satisfactory progress in another 3-5 weeks, I may need to reevaluate.

2 Minute Treadmill Backwards Pushes
 
Mobility Prep
 
Sandbag Rows/Sprints
175x5/25’/25’
225x5/25’/25’
275x5/25’/25’

Sandbag Carries/Sprints
175x25’/25’
225x25’/25’
275x25’/25’
175x25’/25’/225x25’/25’ in 14.44 seconds
175x25’/25’/225x25’/25’ in 14.19 seconds
225x25’/25’/275x25’/25’ in 16.10 seconds
225x25’/25’/275x25’/25’ in 15.61 seconds

Standing Arm-Over-Arm Pulls
255x25’ in 7.27 seconds
355x25’ in 7.42 seconds
435x25’ in 9.41 seconds

Seated Arm-Over-Arm Pulls
435x25’ in ?.?? seconds (lost footage)
615x25’ in 8.69 seconds
795x25’ in 14.87 seconds

One Arm Barbell Holds
(R)140x44.60 seconds
(L)140x54.40 seconds

Stretching
 
Comments: I honestly wasn’t expecting this workout to happen. I had not planned on training. I had done no recovery work, taken none of my supplements (creatine, fish oil, nutradisc) and barely eaten anything the day before. I was fully expecting to be in a mental cocoon until Tuesday at the earliest. Reason being that I figured with the rack pull plan not working, there wasn’t a point in doing the planned workout since I was most likely not going to pursue training as if I were going to do a competition. But I guess I’m not done trying. Fine line between stubborn and stupid. Warm ups were good. I needed to see how my lower back and knee felt. Last time I did a session after the rack pulls, my lower back seized up on me doing warm-ups and I had to go with a light, light session for part of it. No knee brace this time. So up first, sandbags and sprints. Some things from last time I felt worked and others not so much. More I think that I wanted to do them but my back wouldn’t let me and I had done the bare minimum to warm-up. I had done single row, then sprint down and back, another row and then another spring down and back. So I figured since back was feeling better, I would do a set of rows and just one down and back sprint each set. I needed to see how 275lbs felt today as the plan had been to do 2 light runs and then 2 heavier runs. I look goofy when I sprint. Got a little off balance with the 275lbs sandbag on the last rep of the row. I wasn’t bothering with timing stuff until I got to the planned working sets. So like last time, I did a single carry down with each bag I was going to use today. However, I added a sprint to that as well so as not just running down and stopping. I was able to stay warm better this time around. Then the sets of two. I always worry about screwing up the pick on sandbags when it is a timed event for a medley as usually I can’t set my grip. The scramble is almost panic attack inducing for me. Got to get it out in training so that it’s not there in contest. I can stop if I have to and regroup. Ended up having to do that on my second set. I got rid of the crash pad as I realized that I was pushing off the sandbag from that elevated height rather than just using it as a space to mimic placement of a sled I need to load stuff in. Not that that isn’t a bad thing, but it was giving me a false spot to push off of which I won’t have in contest for this particular event. It will be lower to the ground so I need to work from that assumption. Light sets ended up being faster than my fastest time last session. Going up 50lbs on anything is tough, but that is what I have with my sandbag assortment. It would be nice to take a smaller jump and work up over time but sometimes you can’t do that with strongman implements and training. I think again, I was most worried about picking them up efficiently and not stumbling. Managed to get my last two runs under my slowest time last session, with my fastest run with the heavier set being faster than my second slowest last session too. I hadn’t felt like I was moving that well this time. So after that, arm-over-arm work. The sandbag stuff is a bit more applicable to moving events for medleys. Arm-over-arm not really much carryover to other things besides other arm-over-arm stuff. And I’m pretty good at this event when seated (i.e. full body). Standing is a bit of a different beast. I got a good bit of it training for the Amateur Arnold. I was thinking of if I could setup things differently from last week but that appears to be the best option with what I have available. It’s just such a pain in the ass. Had to get the squat rack from the patio out front and load up with weights and sandbags. Some stuff wasn’t as much of a pain, like the rope. There had been melted ice that I had to avoid with it last time. So plan here was to do what I did last time with 20lbs added to every set. I figured that’s not much to add really. I was a little leery about my biceps after all the sandbag work. My left biceps had been crampy the past two days and that might have been stress related. I got off balance near the end of the first set of standing so I mistimed and was a little slower than I would’ve liked. Managed to correct that for the second set. Things just seemed to be tougher on that last set. Was going to be the theme for the seated as well. I don’t know what I got on the first set as my camera didn’t film. Just took like 250 pictures of the street. Second set felt good but I noticed the sled was going at an angle. I think this was my fault from how I unloaded it earlier, taking all the weights off the front pegs, allowing the rope to adjust position. On the top set, my setup resulted in failure. My first tug on the rope knocked 4 plates off the sled from the way the rope was now angling. That was very annoying to reset. I put a spring clip on that side so that it wouldn’t come off again. Definitely a harder pull compared to last time. So this would normally be the end of the workout but I felt I had unfinished business since I up and quit the workout Thursday night. So that meant barbell holds. I knew these numbers would be lower after doing grip intensive things (sandbags and rope really work the fingers. So my hope was that this would be a lower number session and I’d be good by next time these come around. But another thought is that maybe this might end up being closer to how things are since the first week had been a week coming in being fresh. Started with the right this time since it was slacking behind. This felt tough immediately. My right hand appears to be the one that takes the lead and burnt of the strain on arm over arm when seated style. Almost a ten second disparity between the hands this time. Again, I’m hopeful that the numbers are better in the appropriate session and the disparity dissipates. Stretched, ate a meatloaf and did soft tissue work and iced my knees. I still need to do some thinking and tinkering with my programming.


No comments:

Post a Comment