Monday, March 2, 2020

March 1, 2020 – Week 13, Day 3

5 Minutes NordicTrack

Mobility Prep

Farmer’s Walk (16” pick, increasing pace)
Titan Fitness
(turns at 50’)
125x100’ (to the left)
125x100’ (to the right)
(turns at 25’)
215x50’ (to the left)
215x50’ (to the right)
Rogue Fitness
(straight shot)
273x50’
328x0,0 (no pick)

Stone of Steel Loads (54”)
138x5
192x3
244x10

Prowler Pushes (turf)
245x50’/50’
245x50’/50’
245x50’/50’
245x50’/50’
245x50’/50’

Stretching

Comments: I was feeling better then I did last event training session. Back wasn’t hating me. I did some light foam rolling before driving out to train. Didn’t feel like this was going to be too bad after how last time went. No one was there when I got out to train. Warmed up and got ready for training. Starting things off with the farmer’s walk. First few sets being the one’s with turns. I figured that even though the event stuff was put away from the contest, I’d do what I was doing before for consistency sake and to finish things out. 10lbs more per handle on the turn runs. Felt heavier than I would’ve liked on that first set. Second set was a bit better moving wise but not so great with the turn. Doing shorter rests with these turns. Again, the 90lbs jump was noticeable. Like real stupid heavy feeling. I knew by this point that my upper back was really fatigued from the rdls, as well as my hips. Again, better on my left turn versus my right turn. That was really sucky. I was kind of hoping that it was just not being awake as I had heavier things to come. Last time, it was a very casual run with 263lbs. This was not a casual run with 273lbs. The pick took longer and I could feel my grip wanting to go. Grip lags when my upper back is fatigued but chalk can help. I didn’t think that 5lbs more on last time for the top set was out of the realm of possibility. Took a bit of hyping and went for it and I thought it was going as it was slow like last time. But I couldn’t get past the sticking point. I stood up and started sweating a lot and seeing little black spots in my vision. I took about 2 minutes to give another shot to make sure it was good and stuck. It was. I was tempted for a third and go with my usual back of the handle style but I said no as I already wasted a lot of effort with two tries before and these handles don’t hold stuff well unless I have the wrench tightened collars (which I did not). The goal was to work the weak point but it may be not so good an idea with working the heavy deadlifts. This marks two weeks in a row with moving events not feeling so hot. Sounds like I should let the gym work (deadlifts, squats, leg press, rdls) do their thing and go with what works best on the event work perhaps (higher pick, back of handles)? Going lighter for another run was just going to make me angry. Moving on to the next thing. I was seriously thinking of calling it a day and going home. Stuff was fatigued. It wasn’t that I wasn’t strong enough, just couldn’t show it right now. Other stuff was lighter and could be worked. Stone of steel after that. Loading the thing over a bar but more reps on the top set. Feels odd doing reps to be honest. It has been mostly singles since 2017 SC Nats prep. And I don’t think I really did much for reps without some type of grip assistance. So kind of new/different. I don’t remember the balance being all wonky on this thing. Perhaps that was because I didn’t have it fall from 5’ before. It was feeling hefty. My head wasn’t really in it still. Just told myself to do what I can. If this goes poorly, I can at least do conditioning work and regroup next week in some way. The training isn’t written in stone and I’ve come to accept that and get better and letting it go. I will say my ankle extension is getting better and I’m not hyperextending my back nearly as much. I got a bad pick on the stone going for number three on the set of ten and that kind of slowed things down a bit. I also think that because I have to control this back down so that I can do another rep and the bar height is lower is why extension isn’t as aggressive maybe? Not that that isn’t a good thing for now. I started taking big breathes between reps after five and it took two more reps before I got over being cautious and just went a decent pace that if I wasn’t hesitating, I’d have done the whole time. This is about 80% of what I’ve done with tacky towel, gloves and grip shirt for the same reps so doing ok. It’s getting the work in. Didn’t feel like this bothered my biceps at all. Last thing for the day was prowler pushes. Only went up 5lbs again. Just doing the work. Nose to the grindstone. Two prowlers again to make things work. Set one took about 36 seconds and the fifth set took about 56 seconds so definitely a slow down over the sets. But again, didn’t feel so bad. Never felt like I wasn’t going to finish the sets. I figured out I was counting too slow last week (doing “1 Mississippi” instead of just “1”) so that got the rests periods about right. A little short at the beginning but just right by the end as I got tired. I knew I was going to need to rest after this workout with how I was feeling. Did some reverse hypers and bar hangs before heading home. Stretched and ate.


No comments:

Post a Comment