Sunday, March 15, 2020

March 14, 2020 – Week 1, Day 3

5 Minutes NordicTrack

Mobility Prep

Keg Tosses (over 12’ target)
23x1
23x1
23x1
23x1
54x1
54x1
54x1
54x1
54x1
54x1
54x1
54x1
54x1
54x1

I-Beam Farmer’s Walk (18” pick)
(turns at 50’)
117x100’ in 14.14 seconds (to the left)
117x100’ in 13.17 seconds (to the right)
(turns at 25’)
207x50’ in 11.08 seconds (to the left)
207x50’ in 10.61 seconds (to the right)
(straight shot)
257x50’ in 7.68 seconds
257x50’ in 7.78 seconds

Stone of Steel Loads (54”)
138x5
218x3
261.5x10

Yoke Pushes (turf)
210x50’/50’
210x50’/50’
210x50’/50’
210x50’/50’
210x50’/50’

Stretching

Comments: Had a bit of a scare. Woke up Friday with a fever and I was hoping it was just from me eating a lot late and staying up as I tend to run hot. Actually not sure if a fever but I was feeling very warm and putting on clothes made me feel sweaty. I needed my AC on max going to work and put on desk fan when I got there. But I couldn’t cool down when I got to work and called off a half hour in. Couldn’t risk it. Since I didn’t have any of the other symptoms for COVID-19, I was advised to just stay home. My information was sent to my primary care physician but I was told that they wouldn’t administer a test since I was considered “low risk”. I got home and took some clothes off and took Dayquil and ibuprofen and my fever broke in a few hours. We live in strange times. So this pretty much made Friday a bust of a day. I did finally get a chance to do recovery work. My upper back was incredibly sore to the touch from the rdls and the hand and thigh lifts.  I felt better-ish the next day. Took meds and brought extra water, towels and hand sanitizer. Not sure how the day would go but I had things to do. No walking this whole week. I was surprised to see that the plan was including event specific thing so soon. Warm-ups felt good. Knees didn’t ache today on this stuff. First thing was keg toss. I remembered the setup I had made when the throwing wall fell down so I tried to replicate it. Even knowing up to do for setup it was a pain but I got it together. Ate up a good bit of time. Now this week was to be just 10 tosses with no set rest. Didn’t need a target but I like having one so that I know it is going over. Just tossing into the sky gives me a false sense of things. Got several empty kegs but only 2 that are pony keg sized. Several half kegs and one that is like the same height as the half keg but half the width. I figured that 23lbs would be easy enough. That thing was damn noisy. Actually had someone from the kitchen of the pho restaurant check to see what all the clanging was. Been trying to work on the technique in my head and watching videos of people that have improved. Empty keg is no problem; it is when weight is added. I did the first two with my usual shoes I wear for event work and then switched them to my oly shoes to see if that changed things. I had two camera’s going to get different angles on different parts and had my friend Mike observe. After two of each, I brought out my plate loadable throwing keg. 54lbs empty. I wasn’t sure I’d clear this and I was testing more to see what I was getting myself into since I have no in-between weight. I was overthinking it a bit but gave it a toss and it cleared. I was kind of shocked. Granted this was only 12’ but I wasn’t expecting a resounding success since no tossing work in almost a year. Actually felt ok so I did another. Surely that one wouldn’t clear but it did. I was thinking, ok, I guess I can use this for all the sets then. Got all the tosses with no misses. I was favoring the one hand by the end. This power keg mini is a beast as it didn’t suffer anything other than superficial damage to the powder coating. The same could not be said for the blacktop and I will have to figure out something for that next time. Farmer’s walk was next. Working on speed and not worrying about picks and what not. Working on that separately so this was higher handles and my normal speed and hand placement. Granted I needed to use a little more weight than planned as the 18” I-beams are heavier than 113lbs empty. So added 4lbs to everything. Right knee was a little sore but feeling okay. First few runs continuing to work the turns. I’m apparently faster making a right turn than a left turn it would seem. Wouldn’t think that from how they feel. Empty I wasn’t moving as fast as my best I think. These handles felt a good deal more comfortable than what I’ve been using but it might just be the pick height and how I’m holding things. Added a plate and cut the distance in half. Still feels a bit but I moved well. I overshot the first run by 5’ as I forgot that I moved it up 5’ so I could make out the finish line to get my time (I couldn’t rely on someone to time every set since I was running late). These may be speed PRs for me with this kind of setup (distance and weight) but again, still working up. I was able to make some tight turns here. Last two sets were 50’ straight shots. Trying to go fast and try and best faster each time. Pick felt slow and I didn’t feel like I was able to go into my top gear on either run. I got my timing for the start with the commands perfect the first set and was maybe a hair behind the second set. Grip felt good but my hamstrings were feeling smoked from having to move fast. I was consistent and a little over half a second slower than my best. Not that far off really so not bad after all the slow moving stuff.  Stone of steel was next. This hasn’t been a confidence builder lately with how rough this has felt. But again, I’ve previously only done singles except for a top set and when I was doing them for reps, I had assistance in the form of a grip shirt and/or receiver gloves and occasionally with tacky towel. Makes the picking up much easier and less concern of getting it centered. Not so much with it nude. Also doesn’t help that it is dented from that drop last year. It tends to tilt to one side I think. And I get paranoid the hemispheres aren’t fully sealed down as I’ve had them spin in the past when I didn’t. So I might not have the weights inside as secured. Anyways, on to it. The foam pad has essentially been destroyed at this point so it lets things go to the one side. First set was to be the empty implement. No problems here. Next set was to be about 200lbs. I overshot it but didn’t feel like taking the weight out so I did a triple. The next set was to be about 260lbs for a set of 10. I knew this was going to be another long set like last time. Assuming I had no issues picking it up. This became a time vampire as my first loading of it came out 9lbs light. Finally got it right and went. I had put on the soft belts as I figured not time to be worrying about that. This was decent weight now. Thankfully my knees weren’t aching like they were when I was warming up. I started breathing heavy after five. Half way there. Then the pacing got shot to hell as every time I did a load, the thing would roll off the side and I’d have to readjust the yoke and roll it back to the other side like a dung beetle before I’d go again. So this was making it like a 35 seconds rest. Very frustrating. I did manage to not have that happen on the ninth one and be able to do the last one right after that. The back and chest work is doing good things here. Last thing was sled work. The idea being to do either less weight or the same weight as last time and try and go faster. Seeing as how I already had the heavy duty yoke out on the turf from using it to toss the kegs over, I figured I’d use it instead. I wouldn’t have to race the turn it around like with the sleds. I moved pretty good that first set. Not so much the subsequent sets. Felt like I was not recovering. I was counting like last time but I guess I was counting fast as my rests ended up being about 45 seconds instead of a minute. Oh well, I finished. Did some reverse hypers and bar hangs before heading home. The reverse hypers felt different today, like my lower back was really tense but I didn’t feel in pain. Just a tight stretch and not a deloading feeling. Drove home and stretched and then ate. Not an ideal week but a good one training wise. But I fear things are going to get crazier before they get better.


No comments:

Post a Comment