Friday, January 24, 2020

January 23, 2020 – Week 8, Day 2

5 Minutes Precor AMT

Mobility Prep

Deadlifts
45x10
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x1
440x1
Added Straps
475x5

Precor Angled Single Leg Presses
186x5/5
276x5/5
366x5/5
456x5/5
546x22/22

Hanging Knee Raises
bwx41
bwx41
bwx41

Side Planks
bwx60/60 seconds

Stretching

Comments: Heading into this day, at least the day and night before that is, I wasn’t feeling too confident. I was still experiencing some symptoms that I really wanted to go away or stop. Doubts of being healthy enough for Nats this year. Not sure but I guess I got something right that I wasn’t feeling completely off. Granted, I was way more sluggish getting up and I had no idea why. I ate well, I only walked so why feeling like I was hit by a truck? Meant I’d have to rush the morning and come back after work to get ready. Oh well. But I was feeling pretty confident by the time I got to the gym. Not sure why. Just felt like this was just another day of work. Maybe I know the drill by this point with the deadlifts? Or that “full feeling” I have across my upper back, shoulders and back of my arms just has me feeling powerful. I was worrying I spoke too soon about the slingshot dips being pain free on the shoulders as the left one has been a little achy and tight. But that could just be from going hard at it so quickly. I need to savor the progress at the slow cooker pace for now. Learn what works, build slow so as not to destroy what I’m rebuilding. I think that my knee aches have been feeling better icing them once every day rather than just days after I train. So warm-ups felt pretty good. No foam roller today. Was hoping that using my car buffer later would make up for that as I was already running late. Deadlifts to start things off. 20lbs more for the top set this time. Slow, steady, control being the name of the game. I was advised I could speed things up but I’m feeling more comfortable with the controlled negatives and holds. Especially paired with the rdls for higher reps and these for lower reps. I’m also kind of the mind that I’ll be pulling max single regardless of being under 275lbs (unlikely now) or SHW for USS Nats. Not going to be timing issue with that 60 seconds I imagine. But trying to pull faster. Get the break off the floor not feel so robotic with this different style of pull for me. I think I’m getting better at that. Keep reopening the scab on my right shin where the bar hits. Every time and usually on my warm-ups. Working up the same. I felt like the top weight wasn’t going to be enough with how easy 225lbs went up. Granted I got pulled back to Earth as I went but that felt nice and speedy. Trying my best to work up double overhand until the top set and then bring out the straps. Progression being the belts and then chalk after hard belt add. I knew I had this top weight. I was tempted to go for 495lbs but not deviating since new stuff is being added. Need to be smart here. Slow down on that last rep but the first rep didn’t feel as rough as past two sessions. I definitely had at least another rep in the tank. Maybe three. I still have 210lbs more to go (or 170lbs) for the deadlift. Constant climb. Sigh. Anyways, on to single leg presses. Advised to keep progressing but only go up 5-10lbs from last time. No problems on that. Last time felt like bonesnappingly heavy lifting it off the pins. No interest in going up 20lbs a leg this time haha. I continue to be surprised with how heavy I can go for the high reps and have this not bother my lower back. Did 90lbs jumps to see if that wasn’t as harsh as the 100lbs jumps. Still feels heavy at the top set but not as bad. Maybe I’m just ready for it to be grinding my bones to dust. Left side hip was just beat and worn by the end. Limping a little from how tight it was afterwards. Before with the much lighter weight, it was my muscles and me not being conditioned that had me walking funny. Now it’s like disfiguring heavy. As per usual, the right side had an easier time with it. Now usually hanging knee raises end the day but not the case. After that was to be side planks for minute each side. So I only went for 1 extra rep each set on the knee raises so that I could see how I felt on the side planks. Knee raises felt good. Get a good workout for the hip flexors, stretch out the spine, shoulder and work the grip. Side planks felt fine. I had been doing these a little over a month ago for shorter time but greater frequency. I had stopped when it seemed that my rehabbing was too much for me to train and recover. I may use weight on these next time. Feeling good about this session. Just hope that my body is ok with it later. That delayed onset “now this hurts” seems to take 72hrs. Home for food, stretching and recovery work.


No comments:

Post a Comment