Wednesday, October 11, 2017

October 10, 2017 – Week 9, Day 1

5 Minutes Percor AMT

Leaning Calf Raises

One Leg Leaning Calf Raises

Regular Box Touches (12” Box)

Sumo Box Touches (12” Box)

Squat Therapy (16” Box)

Hip Airplanes (supported)

Band Rows w/Biceps Stretch
MMBx20/20 seconds
MMBx20/20 seconds


12” Log Clean and Press
Clean + Push Press + Jerk
Clean and Jerks
320x1 PR+10lbs
Clean and Jerks (one clean)

Chest Supported Rows
400x5 PR+20lbs

Band Resisted Push-ups
No Bands
Add Bands & Chains

Band Triceps Pressdowns


Comments: Event training on Saturday wrecked me. I slept until almost noon on Sunday and ended up going to bed before 10 without dinner. Very happy that I had Monday off to readjust to normal hours again haha. Lower back was tight and knees ached. New bruises as well. Felt stressed all day, not sure if work or just thinking about going for a heavy log press max. Warmed up on the AMT. Heart rate peaked at 159bpm. Trying to get my strides per minute up. Calf raise work after that. Best these have felt in a while. Box touches felt good both styles. Some hip joint ache on the regular style, nothing on the wide. Squat therapy went well. No knee aches here. Hip air planes were also good. No real balance issues. Band rows felt good. Biceps were still feeling the effort from the sandbag rows so made sure I got a good stretch. Push-ups to finish off the stuff before the weights. Tougher than they felt on Saturday but still ok. On to log work. Plan for this workout being to work up to a top single. Still not certain if push press or jerk. So plan was to do both for a bit and then go with the one that felt best today. 30lbs jumps between sets so I had to pick what I wanted to hit at the end of the session and go backwards from there. The contingency on the two part overhead was up to 250lbs. I was debating on going for just 5lbs or 10lbs. I eventually went for 10lbs to try for 320lbs as the top set as the numbers worked out better overall. Honestly, both styles felt good and I only went with jerks after that point with it feeling slightly faster. I put on belt and other support gear earlier than I usually would to make sure I got used to the breathing and seeing how it affecting my lift. 290lbs felt hard but didn’t look that bad on video. I could always just go for 315lbs. But I’m stubborn so I just went for 320lbs. Clean felt good but I missed the press. I was actually surprised that I missed it with how it felt on my shoulders. My body just doesn’t want to cooperate. I sat down for a while after that attempt and contemplated everything. If I should still go to Nationals, if I should keep doing strongman. A lot of effort into that missed attempt. I was sweating profusely (arms, face, legs) and had to wipe it off. But stubbornness prevailed. I decided, hey, that didn’t feel so heavy on the chest and I already got a miss out of the way so no worries. Probably not a smart decision but I went with it. Clean felt just as good but this time the weight didn’t come crashing back down. Barely got the lift. Left side was locked out, right side soft lockout. If it was a contest, I wouldn’t give it to myself. I was so fatigued mentally that I didn’t even show any excitement getting the lift. I was mostly disgusted (and light heated, had to grab the nearby power rack to recover). I don’t think I will be happy with it until I get it clean. Almost like a spotter on bench touching it. But it is great that I’ve hit a lifetime PR on log after dealing with this injury but I still have a long way to go. Down set with 80% of that single. This sucked. Plan was 3-5 reps. I had nothing left. I’m notoriously terrible at reps from the chest on log. I don’t even know if these were jerks or just me trying to walk under the log with some heaving involved. Just dead. Managed four ugly, ugly reps. Couldn’t be happier moving on to chest supported rows. It was already going to be a late night and I had already decided I was just getting burritos for dinner. Continuing with the theme of working up over five sets to a top set. This session being a 5rm. I wanted 400lbs and I was going to get it. 50lbs jumps so the math was easy. Still watching the biceps and no issues there. Good, explosive reps up to 350lbs. Slowed down a bit there. Then Band push-ups after that. Forgot the average band so I had to jump right into the heavy stuff after a light refresher set of regular push-ups. This time three max rep sets. Strong band plus a chain around my neck. Chain kept ringing in my ears but good effort here. Just obliterated my chest. Ended the day with band pressdowns. Finally figured out how to do these without the excess band hitting me in the junk. Not saying I deserved a MacArthur Genius Grant for it but I’d welcome it haha. Both sets were good. I was beat and don’t want to think about lifting for a while. Home to stretch and eat recovery burritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment