Saturday, July 8, 2017

July 8, 2017 – Week 6, Day 3

5 Minutes Concept 2 Rower

Leaning Calf Raises

One Leg Leaning Calf Raises

Regular Box Touches (12” Box)

Band Rows w/Biceps Stretch
MBx25/10 seconds

Sumo Box Touches (12” Box)

Band Rows w/Biceps Stretch
MBx25/10 seconds

Hip Airplanes (supported)

Farmer’s Walk
With Turns (at 50’)
112x100’ in 12.98 seconds
Straight Runs
202x50’ in 7.26 seconds
Max Distance

Stone of Steel Over Bar (57”)

Keg Carries
250x300’6” 26’9” PR


Comments: Had anxiety still even though I wasn’t getting worse. Didn’t get the best sleep two nights ago so tried to make up for it last night. Slept in about an hour later than planned so had to get ready to drive out to Lancaster for yet another training session. Packed a towel and three shirts in case it was like last week with the humidity. Thought about the events most of the drive out there. No ibuprofen or lidocaine right now. Warmed up on the rower. Felt smooth. Some aches in the SI joint area but ok. Calf work alright and the usual box touches, band rows and biceps stretch felt good. No issues with balance on hip airplanes on my good side. Slight bobble with the injured side. Then on to event work. Same as it has been with the farmer’s walk. Light set with a turn, medium light set for a short run and then max distance with heavy weight. Slight breeze so I had someone hold my camera for the warm-ups. Not taking chances with the new camera. Best time so far with the light run with a turn. Straight run was ok. Not sure what happened but the plates in the front hit my shin shortly after I started moving so that threw me off but corrected and finished strong. Heavy set having a pretty big jump from the last set. Pick was slow and tough. I got moving but I felt it in my hands pretty early on and I knew it was going to be a struggle to get a long distance like previous weeks. Grip gave out about 45’ shy of last time. Week in and week out. Maybe passing that point of drop off in how long I can hold on with the weights. Still more than double contest distance. Then on to stone of steel. Plan here being to work up to a weight and go for 5-10 reps as has been the case for last few sessions. I wasn’t sure how things would go with the SI joint aches. Had to use a slightly different setup this time. Different yoke so I had to stand on mats to get the right height. Last warm-up set, the thing came back quickly (hit the sandbag) and banging into my shins and rolled over my right foot. I may need ibuprofen later haha. Fighting sweat each set. Then on to the top set. Just shy of contest weight really. It was a learning experience. First rep was going up easy but I misjudged my distance from the yoke and didn’t anticipate the stone of steel slipping slightly. Totally biffed it and had to recollect my thoughts and give it another try. I moved it, so I knew I could lift it. I then got four reps in 60 seconds. I had the stone slip out of my grip trying to pick it so I took a bit to collect myself again and make sure it didn’t slip the next time. I got to five reps and that was pretty much just telling myself I got one more rep. The stone slipped again going for a sixth and I started to wonder if this was my limit. Where the gloves now going to be a hindrance? But I kept going, eking out rep after rep, breathing heavy, sweating profusely. My gloves were barely staying attached to my hands. It reminded me of a gecko’s feet each time I looked at them. About five minutes later, I got the tenth one over the bar. I had to lay down for a bit. My forearms were cramping and it was hard to open my hands. The floor felt like a good place to rest for a bit. After I had cooled down enough it was on to the last thing for the day. Keg carries as has been the flavor of the week. With how sore my back was from all the extensions with the SOS, I had my doubts I’d get past 60’. And truthfully, it felt like that was going to be the case but then the darn thing started to feel easier. So much so that I ended up going really far with it. I think I could go further but once fatigue sets in and I get to the downhill section of the parking lot, it’s hard to keep going. These things are great and terrible. The return trip uphill is a bear. Grip on the right hand was dangerously close to slipping by the time I was near the end. Another one down. Time to get some rest and get ready for the final stretch. Peak starts next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment