Sunday, January 12, 2014

Update



Haven’t been posting. Nothing to post, just like last time. Injuries blow and I was letting this heal on its own. I figured some days off work from the holidays would give me plenty of time to recuperate. But then on Monday, December 30, my left foot kept on feeling like it was cold and going to sleep while I was at work and I panicked. If there is one thing I know about back issues, it is not a good thing to have stuff radiating elsewhere. The earliest I could see someone was that Thursday with the holidays. I went to the gym to do some reverse hyperextensions to see if that would alleviate some of the symptoms. I went to the ortho and they took x-rays but they were inconclusive so I was scheduled for an MRI the following Tuesday. I had my chiro send over my old x-rays to compare with the new ones. Never had an MRI done before but it was noisy and very confining. The good news is that it doesn’t appear that my current problems are skeletal or nerve related. Most likely muscular in nature. The MRI did show that I had some disc herniation in the T12 spine and deterioration in my lumbar spine. Current treatment is another 12 day taper of Prednisone that I started on Thursday. The hope is this will fix the swelling that is bothering my left side. I’m not feeling the anxiety I felt last time when I took it so that is a plus. I’m also going to be prescribed some muscle relaxant cream to use after workouts.  I met with the ortho again on Friday to discuss some other things. The main concern was how long can I keep doing this? Can’t be doing this routine every six months. I’d like to be able to do this into my mid-Forties but my folks seem to think I have another 3-5 years tops. The sport beats you up and I’m already feeling pretty old at this point. Do I want to push it at the risk of being unable to play with my (theoretical) children and grandchildren? So where do I go from here? I’ve cut my food intake considerably and lost about 18lbs of weight and I’m not in the best shape. The best I got right now is to hit the gym light this week and hopefully start doing stuff after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment