Saturday, November 26, 2016

Physical Therapy: Week 7

Things are progressing again. Best I've felt since starting PT and the best I've felt since the injury. Still very guarded in my optimism. I'm worried if I relax I'll have another relapse and be back at square one. My concerns and wanting to keep improving (not missing PT sessions) meant I stayed home for Thanksgiving. Didn't want to chance a flair up during the 9hrs of driving in two days. First one I've missed and I don't want that to happen again. I've been doing some stretches from the booklet I got when I first saw an ortho for the hamstrings, hip flexors and quadriceps occasionally throughout the day that seem to be helping me heal quicker. If this good fortune continues, I hope to be back to some form of training by Christmas.

November 21, 2016

Antsy to get back into normal routine. Trying to do things that I stopped doing out of apathy (making bed, sorting bills, etc) so that I’m ready when I get back to late nights of training. Symptoms felt pretty good today. Heat and stim for about 15 minutes and then 60 press-ups with my hips offset to the right. I then did diaphragm breathing for five minutes, followed by theraband reverse pullover exercise for 20 each side. Next was 20 table taps each leg and then 8 minutes on the treadmill at 2mph. I was worried that this was going to be the end of the session but thankfully it was not. 20 glute bridges followed by 20 rocking hip hinges. I was then instructed to do modified bird-dogs (20 alternating arm raises and 20 alternating leg raises). After that, it was 30 more press-ups with pressure applied. Soft tissue work done on lumbar and thoracic spine to test mobility. I then got to do some standing exercises. This resulted in 30 hip hinges and kneeling hip flexor pose for 3 sets of 30 seconds. Last thing was some trigger point on the left hip flexor. Very minimal irritation. Only some stress from the standing stuff but pain doesn’t appear to be radiating into the hamstring. Still too early for the PT to really give me a prognosis of when I can get back to normal but I see it a positive sign that I’m expecting to be back to normal.

November 23, 2016

Last day of pills. Symptoms not quite as good as Monday. They were worse Tuesday but better today. They started me off with 15 minutes on the treadmill at 2mph as I responded well last session. Some pings of pain in the hamstring but they only lasted an instant and would go away for minutes on end. Then to table work and did 60 press-ups. PT staff seemed a bit preoccupied so I had to wait a bit. Then it was 20 rocking hip hinges, leading into 20 table taps and I then did diaphragm breathing for five minutes, followed by theraband reverse pullover exercise for 20 each side. 20 glute bridges were after that. A new pullover exercise combined with alternating leg lifts was done for 10 each leg. After that, it was 30 more press-ups with pressure applied. Soft tissue work done on lumbar and thoracic spine to test mobility. I was do also have trigger point done on the hip but really no tenderness so this was scrapped for today. I was then instructed to do modified bird-dogs (20 alternating arm raises and 20 alternating leg raises). Then 2 minutes of foam rolling for each hamstring. Last bit was 30 hip hinges and kneeling hip flexor pose for 3 sets of 30 seconds. Got to stay positive but not out of the hole yet.

November 25, 2016

No real symptoms. Treadmill was in use when I got there so I was instructed to do some table exercises first. Did 60 press-ups followed by 20 rocking hip hinges, 20 full bird-dogs and then 20 glute bridges. Then on to treadmill. 15 minutes starting at 2mph and I increased it by .1mph every minute so last minute was at 3.4mph. Best this has felt in a long time. Back to the table for 20 table taps and I then did diaphragm breathing for five minutes, followed by theraband reverse pullover exercise for 20 each side. Then the alternating leg lifts was done for 15 each leg. Then 2 minutes of foam rolling for each hamstring. The hip flexor hold was modified to having me keep my eyes closed to make balance harder. Same 3 sets of 30 seconds. Then 30 hip hinges. A new one was using the cable tower to do Paloff holds. 40lbs for 3 sets of 15 seconds each side. Then plank holds. PT had to have me change my position from what I thought was me engaging my core. Feels off but much like the hip flexor one, the correct form will feel right shortly. 3 sets of about 30 seconds for regular style and then 2 sets of 30 seconds for side holds. After that, it was 30 more press-ups with pressure applied. Soft tissue work done on lumbar and thoracic spine to test mobility to finish things up. Progress appears to be good. Got to keep my excitement in check until I’m in the clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment