Friday, July 31, 2026

July 27, 2026 – Week 16, Day 1

Dynamic Warm Up

12” Log Strict Presses (head through on last rep only, 5 seconds hold lockout)
90x3
110x3
130x3
150x3
170x3
190x3
210x3
180x5
180x5

Scap Retraction into Pull ups
bwx6
bwx6
bwx6

Paused 12” Log Floor Presses w/ Bands (+6lbs/+30lbs, 3 seconds lockout)/Med Ball Slams
180x3
225x5 – 10x12
225x5 – 10x12
230x5 – 10x12
230x5 – 10x12

Paused Incline Bench Dumbbell Rear Delt Flyes (3 seconds)
10’sx10
10’sx10
10’sx10

Stretching

Comments: Compared to last week, I was having a bit more energy and pep I feel. Still dealing with knee issue on the right side but I feel like I have a good plan of approach to work around and through it for now until World’s is done and then if still in not the best way, off season work. It is also possible that some of the stress with having coaching and programming and not having it laid out before me is gone with me doing my own thing but obviously that has its own issues to go with benefits. Foam rolling starting things off. Trying to work the calves a bit more here with pressure. Nothing really to say about other stuff other than just the usual. Neck stuff went fine. Glutes I could tell there was some detraining there and needing more time in stretch with the lower body mobility. Dead hang to finish things up. I was kind of hoping that would get any kinks out of my back (as feeling a little bit in the left side). And then it was time for training with the weights. Log again. But not how I was doing it previously. This would be the strict style with lean back. My thinking here was that I could work upper body and not nearly as much stress on my knees compared to clean and push press. It would likely be less weight as well and I was feeling like I need to work on my shoulder strength here. The other part of it is I’ve been not enjoying doing event overhead stuff on the patio with how things have been and I’ve noticed that for a while now. Doing overhead event work on Saturday at the gym has felt better to me and that is less contingent on the weather whims (besides heat). I’ll flesh things out better hopefully as I go. Dealer’s choice right? So plan was to do something I did before when I felt like my log press was feeling strong (and I mean within the last 5yrs, not all time) was doing strict pressing with log in the lean back style and with holds at lockout. May not have necessarily expressed it the best at the show but this had felt strong and this would give me another opportunity to deal with problems in lower body drive. Plan being work up in triples to a top set leaving 1-2RIR on that set. Then take off 12.5-15% off for 2x5. Lean back with no head through until that last rep and hold for 5 seconds. I think last time I did these I only did the hold on the top set and down sets. I did that for all of them this time. I wasn’t too sure how this would go. I just knew my pressing on log/axle is down from when I’ve done stuff and made the assumption I was probably at about 85% of my best. With how things panned out, that seemed to be about right. Mentally, I had a feeling that this wasn’t going to go well just based on vibes from the last time I did these and was having issues. I did fine the first time and then the next time it was rough. 20lbs jumps here and that built up a good bit of volume and confidence. I did get a little unstable on the last set before going for last rep. I also switched back to my regular lifting shoes as worried that the oly shoes were stressing the knees. While helpful with getting ankle mobility for the lap, feeling like hampering other areas with stabilizing my base to press. I’ll have to see if I can shake it on clean and press. Would save me some luggage space with just two pairs as opposed to three. After this was done, moving on to something that was to be done as part of my programmed sessions last week (but not on this session). Pull up variation where I was to start from dead hang (I tend to jump the gun), do a scapular retraction, go back into dead hang and then pull up. That being one rep. The plan would be see how I feel but aim being 3x3-6 on these. These did feel better than I was expecting so I did 6 reps for all three sets. I wasn’t expecting them to be that easy after not doing any pull ups for a bit there. I was kind of hoping these would last me out until the competition. Got to think on whether I want to add reps here or just add weight and aim for same range again. It might end up being something on the day. And just because I’m not doing programming with coaching, doesn’t mean that I didn’t think there was good stuff in it. The next thing was something I was to do last week as well, superset of banded log floor pressing and slam ball. This time the pressing was to hold at lockout for 3 second each rep and try to be forceful with it. 4x5 on the pressing and 4x12 on the slams. I actually ended up using a little more weight than originally planned as I was feeling pretty good here. I added 5lbs after two sets as well. Slam ball stuff was pretty exhausting. I think I forgot these also hit triceps besides lats with the ROM and the slam. Put stuff away as I got ready for upper back/rear delt stuff. The raises have been fine but I figured I’d do some that use less weight and hit the spot hard with the hold position I need for carrying the sandbags and kegs and for the clean on log. Lying on incline bench and holding the contraction for 3 seconds. These get tough quick. I took a bit longer with rests as I was putting stuff away and getting dinner ready as well as figuring out some more stuff. I got done at decent hour here and ate dinner before stretching. Hopefully things continue to go my way and be on the up and up here.



No comments:

Post a Comment