Friday, May 20, 2022

May 19, 2022 – Week 10, Day 3

Axle Clean and Push Jerks (one clean)
From Hang
50x2
75x2
100x2
125x1
150x1
175x1
200x1
225x1
250x1
250x1
Regular
250x1
250x1
250x1

Axle Push Jerks/Presses
183x2
213x2
243x1
273x1
303x1
305x1 (became a push press)
308x1 (became a push press)
273x0 (couldn’t get under weight with jerk)
273x3 (1 jerk and 2 push presses)
255x3

Bench Chest Supported Axle Rows (6 second hold 1st rep)
50x8
100x8
140x4
190x8
190x8
190x8

Half Kneeling Band Face Pulls (low anchor point)/Band Triceps Extensions (facing away, rack)
mbx25/lbx25
mmbx25/sbx25
mmbx25/sbx25

Stretching
  
Comments: Getting close to crunch time. No more strength to be built, just refined. The excess is coming off. Either the parts are coming off for a safe reentry or helping me get further into the cosmos. The little tweaks and such to get the most juice for my squeeze. The somewhat lighter session as far as the axle clean and pressing (but heavier out of rack). I still want to push things but the day to do so for when it matters is coming up. Arms and elbows have taken a beating thing training cycle and that was a little unexpected but perhaps that was when I didn’t think I needed so many supplemental classes on axle cleans. I don’t really know much about the people I’m competing against. They don’t really post much. A good many that will beat me on the press and pull, a few I should be able to beat on everything, and some that might beat me on my better events but I’ll beat them on my not as good ones. 18 total as of today. Anyway, on to the workout. So axle again with the focus being singles. No pauses or anything unless I felt like I needed them for feeling out positions. The goal was 240-260lbs for 5x1 with it being easy and not feeling like any weird reps. As a technique focused thing, I tried out stuff rather than keep it bottled in and maybe seeing if it worked contest day. One was attire. I had been wearing a double shirt (grip shirt under a shirt with decal) as that seemed to work a lot better than just a grip shirt. I listened to a snippet from a 105kgs world champion about this as some shows allow belt cleans and others don’t and he indicated that two shirt method could keep the top shirt from sliding. So I wondered what would happen if I put a tight shirt under my grip shirt and have that be the combo? This actually seemed to work a good bit better for me. Another thing trying out again was the clean from hang. I’m paranoid about the biceps on these with the wear and tear from frequency on the underhand grip. My coach uses this style and I’ve tried it but had issues with getting the form right to actually make it work for me beyond 240lbs. So tried that out. The other thing was testing out jerks. I’ve only done them two weeks at about 200lbs but the power I was feeling was too much to ignore. I tend to feel slow and shallow on the drive with push press and use a lot of hips and not so much legs. I feel that I’d need more time to refine this but I wanted to see if this would work for me. At 250lbs, I got stuck with the clean from hang on the second rep. I hit my belt and ended up just kind of upright rowing it DOH onto the belt and then went from there. So really slowed the momentum down. The third lift same thing and I figured I’d stop rather than attempt the same thing I did for the second rep as I know I can’t do this with 300lb if it happens at the show and have the energy to finish the lift. So I went back to my old style and that was better. The jerks were feeling crisper each set. I was really being patient with the lower body drive which I think is benefiting me as not to rush things. On the fourth rep, I kind of landed right on the belt and it didn’t feel heavy. It felt like a diving board. Belt cleans are allowed at this show so I figured I’d give that a shot. This felt like how I used to be able to clean the axle. Powerful, no ugly struggle. I then did it again for the fifth one but this time didn’t hesitate and went right for it. Boom, easiest one of the day. Will have to see if I can keep that going with heavier weights. Always have options to complete the task at hand. Onto the heavier stuff out of the rack. I was advised to start lighter. I wanted to see how far I could go with the jerks. I forgot to record the lighter double sets but remembered to start with the singles. The jerks worked well enough up to 273lbs. The goal for the day was 3 top singles that I felt I could do doubles with and then take weight off for two down sets of decreasing weight. I got set for 303lbs but I think the weight or just not feeling it I hesitated and it went out in front and I caught it  but had to press it out rather than just stand up with it. The power is there. I added a little more weight and although my intent was to do a jerk, my body just decided to push press with a jerk leg drive. It felt pretty easy. I went up 3lbs more to get it to 140kgs. Same thing as what happened with 305lbs in that I went for the jerk but it became a push press. It felt easier than the 305lbs. Like I could’ve done a triple with it. 10% off then for the first triple. That was a disaster. I’m not quite conditioned for this many jerks it seems at this weight. I just couldn’t get under the weight with a jerk initially with two tries. I reracked it, took like 20-30 seconds to recollect my thoughts and went again. Got one ugly jerk and then ended up doing two push presses with long pauses in the rack position. Not my best work. Another drop set and I was able to get my legs to cooperate and get under the bar for a jerk. So results would say push press is my stronger suit at this time but that jerks working up may be best way to wake up the lower body drive so as not to have things be slow like I usually end up doing on my first push press rep on heavy sets. I may also need to play around with rack position. The jerk rack seems counterintuitive for the push press but since I seem to go forward, having the center of gravity closer to midline and then popping hips under it might actually help me. It also doesn’t feel as heavy on my arms as a trick. Something to explore maybe. More axle but not for pressing. This was another idea to try and help with the clean. Bench supported rows with the axle. Pull in hard into the bench that first rep for 5-6ct and then do 7 more reps normally (explosive). I wasn’t too sure how these would go really. I was advised I could do them with straps but I felt that it wasn’t my upper back really that was going to be lagging. It was going to be the hands and arms. I did these thumbless (the grip I use for axle clean once cleared the belt). So working to crush with the hands. I wasn’t too sure how difficult these would be and was prepared for being humbled by like 120lbs. Turns out I could use more weight. That first rep with pull-in is tough and then just my forearms and biceps being sore after that. I ended up forgetting to film these much to my chagrin. Last thing was the low anchor point face pulls and triceps extensions. Two sets of 15-25 reps. No pauses or holds or anything like that. I thought that higher reps I’d fatigue quick so I did go lighter than usually but turns out that wasn’t needed so I just made that a warm-up set. Probably could’ve made the face pull part harder to match the difficulty of the triceps. Put stuff away and ate dinner. Didn’t feel like knees were bothering me much at all so no icing.


No comments:

Post a Comment