Sunday, September 3, 2017

September 2, 2017 – Week 3, Day 3

5 Minutes Concept 2 Rower

Leaning Calf Raises

One Leg Leaning Calf Raises

Regular Box Touches (12” Box)

Sumo Box Touches (12” Box)

Squat Therapy (16” Box)

Hip Airplanes (supported)

Band Rows w/Biceps Stretch
MMBx20/20 seconds
MMBx20/20 seconds


Yoke (drops at 60’)
185x120’ in 16.48 seconds
300x60’ in 6.84 seconds
400x60’ in 7.40 seconds
500x60’ in 8.03 seconds
650x120’ in 23.76 seconds

Sandbag Rows

H-Stone Carry (off platform, turns at 60’)
300x304’2” PR+53’4”
350x244’4” PR+47’


Comments: Last work before I turn 32. Out to Lancaster to train event stuff. Raining off and on so could make things tricky to. An old man named Jeff visited the gym and recognized me from my training clips I posted on Youtube. He tried out different stuff at the gym and I gave him technique advice on the implements when he asked. Hopefully he sticks around. Warmed up on the rower. Felt good, no issues. Calf work easy and the box touches for both styles were good. Squat therapy was the best it has been this cycle so far. Hip airplanes were good as well. Balance on point. Band rows and stretching followed. Easy and not nearly as much tightness in the shoulders. Rows definitely felt good on the upper back. Set of push-ups to finish things up. Getting better with these taking less effort. Still can improve. First item of the day was yoke. Rain had essentially stopped so I took it outside as it would be very difficult to setup the runs instead for the course length without inconveniencing the rest of the gym. Same as last time, working up to a top set of 120’ with a drop at 60’ to come back. Much like with stone of steel last week, I wore a slicker shirt in case the contest shirt ends up like it was when I last competed. Required to wear the shirt and I want to see how this would effect the event with the implement on the back. The first warm-up was with the empty yoke for full distance. Didn’t feel as long like it did last time but I definitely noticed I didn’t feel comfortable with the yoke repick on the turnaround. Kept on working up in weight and finishing the runs with no issues but I felt like I was slower than last time. It wasn’t until I got home to review the videos that I saw I was slightly faster on the working up sets from last session. Then on to the working heavy set. Was definitely anxious going into this. I hadn’t been when thinking about it during the workout but I felt some soreness in my injured area a few minutes after the run with 500lbs so I was on guard. Ended up getting psyched up for the long run and got to moving. First leg felt good. Some hesitation on the repick but got it up and going again. Felt much the same as last time with that second leg feeling tougher and having a hard time accelerating. But it was 50lbs more and I ended up only a little over .2 seconds behind last sessions time. Inside then for sandbag rows. A bit of a change in that I wasn’t given a set weight to do and I could do a heavy set. Most I’ve done has been 220lbs on these rows but I already knew I wanted to do the 250lbs bag. Biceps had felt a little tender this week with the log work and then the barbell grip holds so I kept an eye on them with these. Didn’t want to be pulling with the arms. Work up sets were good so I knew I had it. Only rep that felt tough was the last one as I didn’t have the best hold with my left hand (this size bag is unwieldy haha). Happy with that, and I feel good for more. Rain was pouring and even if it stopped it wouldn’t be a good idea to do the h-stone stuff outside. Had to make my own course to insure 60’ lengths for the carry. Last week’s session with this had been familiarization so I had hoped I could improve on that session. But hard to say as this event can be very grip dependent with how I hold it. Not as humid so I didn’t need to use the athletic tape (still got 32 rolls haha). This session, I was to do three runs, with the first two being the same as last time and then the last run being my choice of either 375lbs or 400lbs. Of course, all for max distance. The start of each set was a little tougher as I didn’t have the space to grab from the side. This meant I had to set it up and then do a 180 to start. First set wasn’t bad, I was surprised that I kept on going. I managed to get a little over five lengths for a big improvement from last session. I really didn’t want to do anymore sets after that but I go to. Bruising already showing up on my left forearm from supporting the implement. Slowly got ready for the next set. That initial turn around at the start is rough. I felt like I wouldn’t get a full length with how it felt. But my grip held and I managed a little over four lengths for another big improvement. I was really not expecting this much from two weeks just coming back to this after five years from even approaching this kind of weight. But I had another set. A little bit more weight or go for contest weight. I went with contest weight. Ended up adding chains to get the weight. It was horrendous on the pick up when I got the thing in my lap when the chains shifted. While not the heaviest thing I’ve lifted since coming back from injury, this felt the heaviest if that makes sense haha. Much like the previous run, I didn’t think I’d survive the first length. But I did and I kept going. I ended up going a little over three lengths before I felt like my skin on my wrist on the right side was going to tear. I think this result surprised me the most of this session. This is the first time I’ve trained h-stone off a platform but this is the furthest I’ve ever carried this kind of weight. I was expecting this distance in my final weeks of training for Nationals, not a fourth of the way in. Very happy about this. Spirit is willing but the body is spongy and bruised. So many scrapes and bruises from this implement. Stretched and then home for steaks and then a long sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment