Saturday, May 6, 2017

May 6, 2017 – Week 9, Day 3

5 Minutes Concept 2 Rower

Leaning Calf Raises

One Leg Leaning Calf Raises

Regular Box Touches (12” Box)

Band Rows w/Biceps Stretch
MBx25/10 seconds

Sumo Box Touches (12” Box)

Band Rows w/Biceps Stretch
MBx25/10 seconds

Hip Airplanes (supported)

175x50’ in 6.21 seconds
175x50’ in 5.33 seconds
300x50’ in 6.11 seconds
400x25’ in 3.89 seconds
500x25’ in 4.26 seconds

Stone of Steel Over Bar (57”)

EOMOM (Yoke & Stone of Steel Over Bar)
550x25’ in 4.94 seconds/244x2 to 57”
550x25’ in 4.41 seconds/244x2 to 57”
550x25’ in 4.43 seconds/244x2 to 57”
550x25’ in 4.55 seconds/244x2 to 57”
550x25’ in 4.37 seconds/244x2 to 57”


Comments: I had committed to going to the gym in Lancaster to train events. Weather wasn’t looking good and other competitors could use my stone of steel. I loaded the stone of steel into my car the night before as I didn’t want to have to worry about that first thing in the morning. Even though I’m feeling better (piriformis irritation still present) I was apprehensive. Last time I drove a longer distance, I ended up getting lost, aggravating my injury taking a sharp exit and ended up having to have my back in traction later. So not the best thoughts. Got up early to make sure I was ready to travel. No real issues with discomfort so that was good. No aerobic machines with heart rate monitors and I really didn’t want to sit down on a bike and the elliptical was fixed in a small ROM so I did my warm-up on a rower. Heart rate monitor wasn’t working so I pitched it. Hips felt pretty tight after that but body felt warm. Calf work was little tough but went well. Then on to box touches, band rows and biceps stretch. No aches on box touches. Actually used a solid box for these (rather than the wood blocks in my garage or the plastic steps at the Y). Back and biceps like the rows and stretch. Hip airplanes were really tough this time for my injured side to balance. I did ten reps but lost balance three times so I didn’t count those reps. I wanted seven good ones. Better control with the strong side. Event work after that. Similar to last time this session came up. Yoke to start things off. Different yoke than I have at home and it is lighter empty with a thicker cross bar. Started slow that first set with the empty yoke. Wanted to make sure everything was feeling ok and then put in the speed. Maybe the thicker crossbar made me feel like it was more forward than usual. Knees were a little achy at first but no issues. Stone of steel after that. This thing empty can be a bear when I’m not thinking about it but when I am it is easy peasy. Added two plates and two tens to it for a single that would be my working weight for the rest of the workout. Always a process with getting myself ready to attack the weight each time I increase it. A bit tougher feeling than 225lbs did last time but not dreadfully so. The next part was EOMOM workout. Start with yoke and the next minute is rest and then the second minute starts with stone of steel. Alternating back and forth until five sets of each. About 18 minutes with 1.5 minutes of actual lifting haha. I was not nearly as nervous as I had been last time even with the increased weights due to the increased rest. Yoke didn’t feel the best on that first run. Stone of steel still had me anxious. I got it for one but would I be able to do it for multiple doubles? I was able to quiet most of those concerns. Yoke felt better as I went (though I was surprised my last run was my fastest). On the stone of steel, I had a little bit of an equipment malfunction with placing the crash pad in the right spot so I had to do a bit more work than expected those first two sets until I put a sandbag in place to keep it from moving. On the third set, my second rep I was having issues with my forearms being too sweaty. So I had a few misfires with the pick but I didn’t panic and I got it up. Need to keep an eye on that and have some kind of towel ready. Other than rolling it on to my finger on the fourth set and catching it a bit far out on the fifth set, I had no issues with my lower back and the other structures. No doubts I was going to finish things after the first set. Drank a shake and stretched before packing up my things and driving home. Knees ached about 10 minutes away from home. I forgot that happens driving after event work haha. It was also nice to have other competitors around and be able to talk shop or about strongman events.

No comments:

Post a Comment