Dynamic Warm Up
Paused Tibialis Raises (2 seconds)/Calf Raises
bwx25/bwx25 (FHL)
bwx25/bwx25 (KOT)
ATG Split Squats
bwx5/5
bwx5/5
bwx5/5
bwx5/5
bwx5/5
Inverted Rows/Band Reverse Jefferson Curls/Paused Seated Safety Squat Bar Goodmornings (3 seconds)
bwx15/mbx12/65x12
bwx15/mbx12/65x12
bwx15/mbx12/65x12
Dumbbell Windmills (3-1-3-0 tempo)
40x6/6
40x6/6
40x6/6
Chaos Chain Bradford Presses (60 seconds rest)
PVC+44lbsx30 seconds
PVC+44lbsx30 seconds
PVC+44lbsx30 seconds
Ankle Weight High Knee Marches
10’sx25/25
10’sx25/25
Stretching
Comments: Feeling quite a bit of DOMS in my quads after first day back to training. I’m seeing some people that competed in the same competition already doing normal stuff and on to the next thing, while I’m doing the weird stuff to get body conditioned and feeling good before moving into offseason training. I’ve already had a long and stressful year with training and competing and work so I know I need to stick to my plan so I can keep doing this thing like I have been. Also some DOMS in my chest and triceps (to be expected). I had hoped I’d get in a walk yesterday but just way too much coming back to stuff at work and I went through my lunch doing work and then dinner with family after work. It also got up to low 90’s again so that wasn’t going to be pleasant. With how I was walking, it would’ve been risky to try and get my usual walk in with insufficient buffer time for other stuff. I did at least get in soft tissue work and that was definitely needed. I did not miss the chaos of work. Severe thunderstorm today but cleared up by the time I was done with work. I wasn’t going to need to be outside for anything for training anyway. Foam roller stuff needed a ton on the calves and quads. A little more effort on the hamstrings and upper back was also needing the love today. Tight/sore chest noticed on the neck rehab stuff. Glute activation and mobility for lower body was just fine. Then on to training. I had a little bit of a delay from work to actually starting training I think just processing things and getting myself ready to train. But these works haven’t been that long or taxing at the moment so not that urgency really. First thing was the pairing for the ankle/lower legs of tibs and calves. I did these second on Day 1 and this time doing them first on Day 2. Doing these every training session these first two weeks with different priority in the session to change things up. These I give credit to having my knee start to feel better after it was feeling like shit in July and I did them for a week. It was cooler today but I knew with the humidity that I was going to need the fans going. I’m not used to being back home in regards to that aspect haha. The pauses and high reps with the tib raise portion have been killers on this. The calf raise portion has been no biggie comparatively. I know there are still issues with the right calf muscle with strength and will see about that later in the prep. From there on to ATG split squats. 5x5 on them instead of the higher reps. My hope was that I could do these to the floor with both sides. Last time I tried, I could do my left side but not my right without pain (July) and needed to use a box to adjust the angle and ROM. A little tricky with balance but I was able to do these from the floor on both sides. So that is something there. So far, this was as I had written out initially. But on reflection, I felt that I needed to adjust things. Mostly I felt like maybe I was putting too many things in on this day and I could possibly remove them and pair up some stuff I had as standalone. So I did. The only other “grouping” was inverted rows being added to the coupling I was going to try of band reverse Jefferson curls and paused seated ssb goodmornings. I was initially doing the rows on their own but I figured I could pair them with these as I kind of did that previously with rows and Jefferson curls. The band version is different in that I’m pushing down on the band for the stretch and spine in flexion. Then doing isometric pauses with the seated gms in the bottom/flexion position to reinforce the point. Setup for all three was a little tricky but I figured it out. I was initially not vibing with the new jeffersons but once I got them figured out, I was good with it and stuck to the plan. Next being another tempo darling that would potentially be the most challenging thing. It did but it wasn’t as bad as the pressing on Day 1. Never really find a good spot to put in windmills but I do think they are helpful. I don’t think I’ve done one since February (maybe April?) just as warming up for circus dumbbell at competition. It has been long enough that I wasn’t aware which side would be the one that is lagging vs leading. Well I should probably assume that the one I feel like starting with would be the one that was leading. Right side didn’t feel bad. Just getting the dumbbell up was a little more effort than I’d have liked. The left side it was easier to get up there but I felt more stiff and tight on this side so it was challenging in that regard. The next thing was initially going to be the last exercise of the session but I moved it up. Chaos chain Bradford presses for timed sets. The idea here was work capacity similar to the lat pulldowns and Spanish squats on Day 1 but for the shoulders and getting the scapula to move well. I could’ve done this with just a barbell but I wanted to make it interesting and require more control. Balance was tough the first set and then I felt like I was pro with it on the second and third set. Those were also the sets that I started feeling the burn. Then the last thing was to work the hip flexors with some traction aspect. Ankle weights and lifting high knees/marching. Initially, I was looking at doing 10 steps per side but these ended up being easier than I was planning and I aimed for 30 reps total since that is roughly how many steps it takes for me to go 50’ with a yoke but was still easy so I just did 50 reps for both sets. I’m sure I will notice this in the morning with how the hip flexors like to be. So not that dead or sweaty compared to how some things were on Day 2. Put stuff away and ate dinner before eventually stretching. Another year older tomorrow I guess.
Beginner Grip Routine - David Horne (2005)
8 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment