Monday, August 10, 2026

August 10, 2026 – Week 18, Day 1

Dynamic Warm Up

12” Log Strict Presses 
87x3
117x3
147x3
167x1
187x1
207x1
227x1
(head through on last rep only, 3 seconds hold lockout)
197x3
197x3
197x3

Scap Retraction into Pull ups
bwx3
bw+22x4
bw+22x4
bwx7

Paused 12” Log Floor Presses w/ Bands (+6lbs/+30lbs, 2 seconds)
110x3
160x2
60 seconds rest
200x3
200x3
200x3
200x3
200x3

Band Pullaparts/Band Shoulder Dislocations
mbx15 (overhand)/mbx10
mbx15 (underhand)

Single Arm Band Overhead Triceps Extensions
mbx25/25

Stretching

Comments: The home stretch so to speak. My last planned “heavy” session. I was pretty whooped from Saturday training and I was feeling quite sore in areas that haven’t been sore this cycle. Hips were sore and needed to do trigger point stuff on my left elbow to get stuff to relax and calm down. I utilized Sunday to get sleep and get my shit figured out before work this week. Knowing this is the telework cycle helps in that regard as I tend to recover better. Weight down a little bit but still consistent. I waited until it was later to walk as it was still like 90 degrees (but at least dry and not humid). It was essentially dark when I woke up today due to storm coming through. Depending on weather, I was considering rescheduling the session until tomorrow or modifying it so I could train solely in the garage. Storm went away and sun came out and evaporated all the rain water and then another storm came and that at least passed and mostly dried up by the time work was done. Foam rolling starting things off. Calves and quads were really tight but worked them good. Neck stuff went fine. I figured some stuff would be a bit touchy considering the density of the dumbbell and how many times I lifted it as my left shoulder was quite raw from impact. Lower body activation and mobility stuff felt good. Dead hang to finish things up. I could tell here that thankfully my hands/grip were feeling fine but that my left shoulder was feeling impinged a little. On to the lifting. Log again. Last heavy touch of log with strict press. No bands. Plan was to work up to a top single but not like a true max. Similar to the deadlift in that working up to something that would have me get agitated and tap into that. Something that would make me nervous. No holds working up and initially doing triples and then singles. Things didn’t start out great as my left shoulder decided to become sore immediately. I knew this was a possibility with how much I did with dumbbell and this style of log press. I don’t feel like it affected my strength but I could tell a tendon or something was irritated on the eccentric portion. That is usually when I feel stuff doing tempo work and know I’m pushing things a bit. This has flared up before and I’m only planning on light log push presses Saturday for last session. So a little bit of a damper here but pushing onward. 30lbs on the triples and then 20lbs on the singles. My lower back was a bit stiff and feeling fatigue from the previous week sessions. But still felt fine here. Balance point was a bit of issue I think because I was used to the reps style rather than just going head through. 227lbs was just a hair under what my projected max would be based off reps from 2 weeks ago here. 4.5yrs ago I did 40lbs more than this in prep for a show following essentially this workout. But this is where I am now and I need to get some numbers to know where to go from here after World’s. I didn’t get as psyched up as I did for deadlift last week but this went up well enough and I pleased with that. Down sets I went on the higher end percentage wise. 3x3 with 30lbs less weight. Holds at lockout on last rep and no head through until that rep. I went with 3 seconds mainly because I was trying to not stress my triceps at lockout as much this week considering how my left elbow was feeling just the day before. I altered a few things to be less intense and I probably didn’t need to with how it was feeling today for the most part. Pull ups followed this. I made adjustments with this and initially I was looking at doing just 2 sets with one with weight and one without on the scapular retraction into pull up. With how my left shoulder feeling, I elected to do a few reps with bodyweight first so that perhaps the weight version wouldn’t be such a shock. I don’t know if it really helped here as the bodyweight only felt really good and then adding 22lbs of chains felt like a ton. I had hoped to be good for a set of 6 reps but not happening today. So I decided I’d do another set with weight to match those reps and if feeling good, I’d do another bodyweight set like I had originally planned. I was able to match reps and go to bodyweight. I actually had to slow myself down as I was moving to forcefully and getting a bit of swaying action. I was only going to do 6 reps but decided I’d try for one more here. With pull ups done, back to more banded log floor pressing. The plan was to do the same variation I did the past few weeks with holds at lockout but I switched to pauses on the chest instead to be less stress on my elbow possibly. Aim was to do these as my last “heavy” speed work. These felt pretty good. I was supposed to do 90-120 seconds rest but this ended up almost like EMOM rests instead. I liked doing these this prep though not sure on the carry over to the actual log press event. I’ll have to play with it some more I think. Now the end to the session as originally going to be like last week with superset of rear delt upper back and dumbbell triceps. But I forwent these to do stuff with bands that would potentially be gentler on the left elbow area. I’ve done this before but I had used the micro bands. But they were being used as my band setup for log and I wanted to move things along so I used a mini band instead. 15 pull aparts into 10 band dislocates and then 15 more pull aparts. Overhand pull apart was fine and dandy and the dislocations went good. Underhand grip was a bit more stressful with this band tension. Final thing being band triceps stuff. Did single arm overhead with mini band as well. Aim was 20-30 reps but not going to failure, just a good pump. Right side I stopped at 25 reps so matched that with left side (which felt a little easier). Nothing intense after this session. Put stuff away and stretched before eating dinner. Just two more sessions to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment