Saturday, December 3, 2016

Physical Therapy: Week 8 & Update

This was not a good week. Well, it was good week for my pain though as I almost feel back to how I was before the injury. I've started doing my normal two mile walks again so I'm bored out of my mind and I have a way to decompress and reflect. However, not a good week as far as stress. Due to issues with the insurance covering continued sessions, I had to discharge myself from care of the PT. I won't go into it more as I appreciate the care that was provided to me considering the previous months of no progress but the ball was definitely dropped by them in this instance. I'm going to move beyond it. I still have a follow up with the ortho to hopefully be given the go ahead to get back to normal on 12/6/16. I've also reached out to strength caoch Mike Westerling for training so once I'm cleared, I will be slowly building back to a respectable state. Might mean that 2017 will be geared toward competing healthy in 2018. In the mean time, I will be doing what I can at home from my PT sessions to help with my continued recovery. I'm at least feeling optimistic now which I haven't felt in almost 7 months.

November 28, 2016

Some minor symptoms but the pain in the hamstring is less a stab and more a pinch when it is present. The time off for the holiday and weekend gave me a lot of time to do my at home exercises frequently. Treadmill for only 10 minutes so I put it to 3.5mph for the duration. Did 60 press-ups followed by diaphragm breathing for five minutes, followed by theraband reverse pullover exercise for 20 each side. Then the alternating leg lifts was done for 15 each leg. 20 glute bridges with 20 table taps. Then 20 rocking hip hinges, 20 full bird-dogs. This led to 30 press-ups with press applied and then the mobility work on the spine. Then 2 minutes of foam rolling for each hamstring. Then to the cable tower to do Paloff holds. 40lbs for 3 sets of 15 seconds each side. This was followed up with 30 hip hinges and eyes closed hip flexor pose hold of 3 sets of 30 seconds. Then plank holds. I pretty much got the right position the first try this time. 3 sets of about 30 seconds for regular style and then 2 sets of 30 seconds for side holds. While this was it the end of my treatment for today, it wasn’t the end of the session. I had thought they had resent the request to my insurance to get more sessions covered but they had not and this session and my session on 11/25/16 were not covered. I would be liable for $110 a session if they don’t sort things out. I told the PT that if I don’t find out if more sessions will be approved by 12/1/16, that will be my last session. I also asked the PT about expected time to being “discharged” from care and they said 10 more sessions. That would be two weeks after this week. I was hoping it would be sooner. I’ve at least been cleared to return to my normal 2 mile walks.

November 30, 2016

Hamstring acting up a little bit. I’m hoping that is more from the 2 mile walk yesterday then actual symptoms coming back. I started off this session peeved about the whole insurance thing as they weren’t able to get in touch with them when I got there. I reiterated that if they don’t know next session, I’m done. My anger fueled me while on the treadmill. 15 minutes at 3.5mph for the duration. Then the PT did an assessment of my lower back and my flexibility after answering several questions about my progress. Tried my best to stay engaged and not be obstinate about the insurance issue. 30 press-ups with press applied were next. 20 table taps, 20 glute bridges and then the alternating leg lifts was done for 15 each leg. After that it was 20 rocking hip hinges and 20 full bird-dogs. This led to plank holds. 3 sets of about 30 seconds for regular style and then 2 sets of 30 seconds for side holds. Then 2 minutes of foam rolling for each hamstring. Big change up after that was actually doing exercises with free weights. The first was a kettlebell deadlift. Only 35lbs for 3 sets of 10 reps, trying to mimic the hip hinge. Then I held the kneeling pose and pressed a 20lbs dumbbell on the alternate side for 2 sets of 10 reps. Final activity was farmer’s walk with 20lbs dumbbells. 3 laps around the facility area. PT is hopeful that they will get in touch with the insurance PT to get the sessions approved. They also feel the hamstring is still acting up and hopefully isn’t radial pain from the disc bulge. Hamstrings appear to be pulling on the lower back. Suggested I get a foam roller for at home and I may be doing the three free weight exercises at home. Need to confirm that at the next session. Hopefully, it doesn’t have to be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment