Sunday, November 20, 2016

Physical Therapy: Week 6

I was given a nine day cycle of Prednisone that I started on 11/15/16. I think it might be more pills than when I did the two twelve day ones earlier this year. Pain has definitely lessened but still getting the occasional aches in the hip and some hamstring pain. I feel about what I was when I had started back lifting and walking without pain while injured. Guarded optimism as I've seen what has happened twice already with the medication and then the symptoms coming back. I really want to get back to training and I'm worried that even 2017 might be out of reach. Insurance only wants to cover two more sessions as they feel I can get better on my own with home based exercises. I'd agree with them if I didn't have the unexplained relapse. Focus has been almost solely on the back and shoulder isn't getting any real attention. I'm not even back to what I was doing before the relapse I felt then I was still at least three weeks from being cleared. Going to have to talk with the ortho and PT to see if they can get more sessions approved or I will be SOL.

November 14, 2016

Pain is starting to subside. I’ve done nothing differently and I haven’t even started taking the prednisone. Heat and stim for about 15 minutes. Then I did diaphragm breathing for five minutes, followed by the new theraband reverse pullover exercise for 20 each side. After that, I did 30 press-ups with my hips offset to the right. I then had soft tissue massage done on my left hamstring. They used a metal rod with a curve in it to do it. Felt like someone was trying to scoop ice cream off my hamstring. Twitching seemed to have stopped. I then had my range of motion tested with my left side and had some trigger points done on my hip flexor. The PT then had me walk a short distance. I had no symptoms while walking. Back on the table to do 30 table taps and then on the treadmill for 5 minutes at just 2mph. Things seem to be back on track. I’m supposed to do the press-ups inside of the side twists holds again.

November 16, 2016

Been on the prednisone for a day and a half now. I feel similar to how I did before the flare up in the nerve. I hope this does it but I’m still concerned that I will feel great and then I will be back in pain two weeks after I finish the pills. Heat and stim for about 15 minutes. Then I had soft tissue work done on my left hamstring like last time. Still very tense. After that, I did 30 press-ups with my hips offset to the right and then 30 more with pressure applied. I then did diaphragm breathing for five minutes, followed by the new theraband reverse pullover exercise for 20 each side followed by 20 table taps. I then went on the treadmill for the same time and speed as last session. Finished up with trigger point on my hip flexors on the left side. Still doing a more light session as my body gets back to where I was.

November 17, 2016

Hamstring was sore as soon as I got up in the morning. A lot going on so I was really trying to keep check on when it calmed down Heat and stim for about 15 minutes. I then rested in the prone position for about five minutes. After that, I did 30 press-ups with my hips offset to the right. I then did diaphragm breathing for five minutes, followed by the new theraband reverse pullover exercise for 20 each side. After that, it was 30 more press-ups with pressure applied. This was then followed up by trigger point on left hip flexor and soft tissue work on the hamstring. Really getting into that irritated area. Hip flexor is not as tender as the day before. I did 20 of those rocking hip things on all fours, trying to keep the hamstrings relaxed. I then did 20 table taps and 20 glute bridges. Finished up with 6 minutes on the treadmill at 2mph. Things seem to be coming back under control but still trying to not overdo it.

No comments:

Post a Comment